Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone every used/heard of Power Stop? I'm thinking about grabbing their "Street Warrior" pad/rotor combo, and I'm seeing mixed reviews. Everywhere between "hey these are awesome" to some BMW guys saying they managed to warp the rotors in 4 - 10K miles. Just wondering if any DSO guys have any experience with this brand. If they can perform on par with my slottet Brembo Rotor/EBC redstuff combo ... that's be great considering I can find a full kit for about $250.

That being said I'm totally okay spending $500 to redo all four corners if I have to. I've been eyeballin' full EBC kits and they seem to be running in the $300 - $500 range. I really like my current set up but if I can save a few bucks and have similar performance ... I'm all for it.

Any other suggestions? I will say that I've used the Hawk HPS pads on the rotors I have now and was not impressed (so those are out as far as pads are concerned). Car sees primarily DD duty with the occasional AutoX weekend.

·
Registered
Civic and Accord
225 Posts
262mm? upgrade to 282mm / EBC D1111 discs with crv/accord/itr caliper and brackets.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've got a set of Powerstops "basic" pad on my 02 Grand Cherokee (high performance I know...) and have no complaints. I believe Powerstop is owned by Centric and every car i've put Centric brakes on stopped quite well with little noise. I don't have any experience with the performance stuff but as a brand they seem to be just fine and know what they are doing.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Just curious did you follow the bed in procedure for the hawks? I loved my hawk hps pads but then again I've only ever ran oem or autozone crap

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
262mm? upgrade to 282mm / EBC D1111 discs with crv/accord/itr caliper and brackets.
Not sure I can go bigger with the wheels I have on there now. The calipers barely clear them as it is. At some point I may ditch the 14s and go for some bigger brakes but for now the OEM sizes are going to have to do.

Just curious did you follow the bed in procedure for the hawks? I loved my hawk hps pads but then again I've only ever ran oem or autozone crap
To the best of my knowledge I did. Perhaps not it was the first brake pad swap I did. They performed on par with the OEM pads I replaced ... maybe a little better. I just remember not being impressed with them for a performance oriented pad. Of course switching from worn OEM rotors and the Hawk HPS pads to the slotted Brembo rotors and EBC redstuff may have severely clouded my memory.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
My hawks performed way better than oem on my hx coupe, everyone who drove my car said my brakes were super touchy and stopped Hella good. I have some hawk hps waiting to go on my ex sedan but I'm not sure if I want slotted rotors or oem replacements, really don't want a shit ton more brake dust or have to replace pads more often

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My experience with them was obviously much different than yours. Three years of daily driving + autocross and they're still doing good. But it's about time to do the rotors.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Greens last two (45 minute?) session at Mid Ohio on a GSR Integra on grippy Toyo's. Pads were GONE, aka no material left although they felt good till the last 10% when heat became an issue. Next event the driver upgraded to Reds...they lasted 4 sessions.

Replaced with Raybestos Gold from NAPA, lasted several events.

EG HB with Accord Wagon brakes and same Ray Gold pads...just stupid grippy until hot and faded slightly.

RU Faster than a redneck, Taylor Swift and the exploding easter egg, Todd Reid's EG HB, which I did some tranny work for when it was still SOHC.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
I've never had any issues on Hawks and Advance's stock blanks. The only time I had to make a change was when we finally went to R compounds I guess the HPS's got beyond their effective heat range and were fading pretty bad in 100* temps. I upgraded to the HP+ on the same rotors and never had any more issues.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never had any issues on Hawks and Advance's stock blanks. The only time I had to make a change was when we finally went to R compounds I guess the HPS's got beyond their effective heat range and were fading pretty bad in 100* temps. I upgraded to the HP+ on the same rotors and never had any more issues.
Well judging by your class champion-ness I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're a better driver than I am. If that setup is effective for you ... I bet it will be effective for me (as long as I tighten the nut behind the wheel).

What would you think of the HP+ pads on the street? Here in the PNW we don't often get up to 100* so the HPS would probably work out all right, but on the other hand ... my car is significantly heavier than yours (at least I would guess it is).

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Well judging by your class champion-ness I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're a better driver than I am. If that setup is effective for you ... I bet it will be effective for me (as long as I tighten the nut behind the wheel).

What would you think of the HP+ pads on the street? Here in the PNW we don't often get up to 100* so the HPS would probably work out all right, but on the other hand ... my car is significantly heavier than yours (at least I would guess it is).
My car weighed in at 2103 in race trim without me in it. And don't let my lack of competition fool you into thinking I'm good lol. That said, I daily my car without issue on the HP+, and they come up to temp fairly quickly on course. On the street I don't do enough heavy braking to ever notice them cold, they still feel fine to me.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Okay ... so my car only weighs in about 300 lbs heavier. Blanks and HP+ it is ... or something along those lines.
Oh, I forgot to mention I run the HPS on the back now with the HP+ up front. What I was getting at originally is I think you'd be ok with HPS on street tires, but the + aren't a bad choice. Mine were noisy for a while, still squeak some when stopping.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, I forgot to mention I run the HPS on the back now with the HP+ up front. What I was getting at originally is I think you'd be ok with HPS on street tires, but the + aren't a bad choice. Mine were noisy for a while, still squeak some when stopping.
Well I race on slicks. So I might as well just get one set. I'm a lazy racer I don't wanna be changing a bunch of parts the night before ... I don't really have the space right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts