Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving around today with my friend adjusting fuel trims and out of nowhere the battery light comes on and check engine light, the car stalls out and I coast it to the side of the road.

I try to restart the engine but it doesn't start. I look at my Wideband and it reads 8.8 with the car off. I try to connect back to Neptune RTP on my Macbook and it says "Connecting" then flips to "Disconnected"

If I try it again it hangs on "Connecting" but never does.

I can't connect to it anymore and I cant change the maps or anything.

The Car has lots of fuel coming out the exhaust, I guess tomorrow I will look at the plugs.

All this is seemingly out of nowhere.

Thanks for any help.

· Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sent to, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

"Hey I don't know if you're the person I should contact of not. I got a bunch of stickers from here so I figured it would be a good place to message.

I was driving around with my P28 OBD1 ECU connected my Macbook Pro using Neptune RTP to adjust fuel trims and I opened the parameters window and the car stalled out, the battery light came on and the check engine light stayed on.

When attempting to restart the vehicle there was large amounts of raw fuel being blown out the exhaust.

When I tried to connect the P28 to the Macbook, I was suddenly unable to connect or see my gauges. It says "Connecting" then "Disconnected" when I first plug the P28 in. Then If I try to connect again, it says "Connecting" and hang until I remove it.

I am unable to connect and use the ECU. I purchased this board and had it installed by Xenocron.

When removing the ECU from the car, the ECU is still not able to be connected and there is no LEDs illuminated. The Board will not connect when removed from the ECU either. No LEDs are ever illuminated and it does not connect to the computer and the ignition appears to be non-existant.

I will be sending this message to Moates, HRTuning, as well as Xenocron.

I look forward to getting this resolved as soon as possible."

We will see. My ass had to push the beast about 6 blocks home

Oh and I found out my crank pulley is disintegrating. The front on the PS pulley is coming off so I guess it's gonna come off too.

· Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,908 Posts
tis why I always make a base tune in crome for any setup im using an emulator in...

swap ecu and make sure its not the issue. I had my battery in the emulator dice once upon a time.

· Registered
Honda Civic and CRV
270 Posts
Check to see if you accidently hit the Kill Injectors button, the little gas pump button in your status bar.

Make sure all your connections are in place and tight, inlcuding the demon on the ecu.

· Registered
3,047 Posts
Anyone else have this happen?
twice and counting. Craig Moates will take good care of you. pluck out the Demon and send it back to Moates and you will be shipped a replacement.

your Demon board has failed and the ECU is running in limp mode as a result.

as with everything, have a backup plan now that you have experienced how fickle electronics can be. like someone said, have a chip burnt and keep it in the car always in case something like this repeats itself. that way you can still run the car well while your replacement arrives.

· Registered
3,047 Posts
look on the HRTuning forum. it has happened several times before. while Moates assemble the boards themselves the components on those boards are manufactured elsewhere and QCing those is out of their hands.

as long as it works, it does so stunningly well. Moates also back their products to the hilt. just ensure that you have backups and things should be fine.

this happened to me twice. I thought it had something to do with my electrical system but a friend's Demon board kept soldiering on for two months before I got a third one. the third one would not receive datalogging information from the ECU so even that is being sent back. however, I am prepared for this now. got myself a Hondata and a Burn 2 with some chips.
however, nothing beats NepTune, so in addition to RMAing the third unit, I've also bought myself a fourth one.

by the end of it all, I will have a Burn 2, a S300 and two Demons running NepTune and 4 socketed ECUs. you can say I am prepared for the Apocalypse. :)

Murphy's Law also has a way of striking when you are not prepared and keeping away when you are.

· Registered
572 Posts
I've had it happen a few times.

Only once would it not reconnect, a few other times it died, and I had to reload my tune, it seemed to dump it.

once when it wouldn't reconnect I had to send my demon in to moates, he reflashed it, and sent it back.

Mine seemed to only do it when I had the tunerview hooked up-not on, just hooked up. Now I physically unplug the tunerview if I have the laptop hooked up.

I also have been considering having a emergency chip burnt, just in case, and my AAA membership has been reactivated with the extended towing service....

· Registered
1,789 Posts
The Demons are glitchy. I just went through this using eCtune as well, and my personal Demon had some issues for a while and somehow I was able to get it straightened out, don't ask, I don't remember.

Craig has great service and is always willing to help if it is a problem with his equipment.

My suggestion is to try a different Mini USB cable, and use the DORES (Demon/Ostrich Reset) tool from Moates. If you can get it to connect and reset the Demon or anything you may be in luck.

I have a feeling Craig ended up getting a bad batch of Demons in one of the shipments.

· Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I sent that e-Mail last at 8:26 PM PST and got this reply at 11:05 PM PST from Moates.net. Very Quick.

"It sounds like your unit died. Use the RMA link on our website. Fill out your information. In the 'Comments' box, explain what happened. After you complete the form, click the 'Shipping and returns' link for instructions to ship it back. Once we receive the defective unit we will repair or replace it free of charge.

Thanks for your email,
Dave Blundell"

I filled out the RMA and will be giving it to the post on Monday unless I can get it alive.

I'll keep you posted.

· Registered
4,670 Posts
Dave getting shit done!

Moates will take care of you.

I did have one Demon dump a ROM at random one time. It hasn't happened again since then. and my other one has worked flawlessly from day one. Hopefully they can get something figured out with their suppliers.

· Classic Man
Civic
23,667 Posts
I've had my Ostrich randomly unpaid with eCtune, and then erase itself.

Yep, its happened more than once to me.

It sucks but you gotta deal with things like this when you are modifying cars like we are.

· Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,326 Posts
Solid CELL and cant connect to board. Means your daemon board needs to be sent in. We must have purchased over 10 boards from them in the past 2 years. And I have had this issue happen only once and that too on a car which I had not gone over the earths my self.
This is not a neptune issue.
They will replace the board. What laptop do you use ?

· Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I should have said "Moates Demon Letting me Down" now that I know the problem.

I'm using a Macbook Pro for tuning. I tried connecting to my PC in my house but it does the same. I could not reset using the Moates utility either.

I walked down to the Post Office this morning in the rain to get it out. They said it should be there by Wednesday.

· Registered
90 CRX Si
5,202 Posts
I always thought mine was just me not understanding how it worked. I fooled with it a couple weeks and shelved my unit when I first got it for two years. Pulled it out one day to try again, and got to troubleshooting on the HRTuning forums, and finally contacted Moates after I realized it wasn't a software issue. Sent it in, no problems, had a new board back and it worked perfect.

Only other issue I've had was last week. Car had sat up for a couple of days with battery unhooked and alternator off (having alt issues) and when I finally re-assembled and cranked it up, it acted like no tune was on there, it was rich and fouled my plugs. Uploaded base code and calibration again, burned fuel off plugs, and no issues since. I guess something may've drained the internal battery on the board.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.