Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least, I think so. Hes got a 91 Civic DX, pics to come, and its seriously one of the cleanest and most well preserved EF's Ive ever laid eyes on.

We just replaced his stock D15b2 with an JDM non VTEC D15b. Running the stock dual point fuel injection and such. Everything was pretty well straight forward until he went to fire it up the first time. Got this....any thoughts? What relay is this? What could cause it to make this noise? Its vibrating like a champ too. The starter kicks in, the motor spins but no spark.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
That's the main relay. Either a short or bad relay. Check the ground at the thermostat housing. Make sure it's clean and tight.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the main relay. Either a short or bad relay. Check the ground at the thermostat housing. Make sure it's clean and tight.
Awesome awesome awesome.

Ill head down to his house tomorrow at lunch and check his grounds.

Pretty sure my main relay is out as well. I was driving today and the engine just turned off like I killed the ignition. But all I got was check engine lights and no RPM.

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
Also do a voltage test at the relay main power.(you want it very close to the batt voltage)
Everything looks 100% sometimes but its not working. The relay won't bridge properly if the main wire can't give it the currant it wants.
Relays do not need a strong earth, but they must have one that is 100%
Also inspect the fuse connectors, could be giving a bad connection.
You can manually test the relay by giving it a + straight from the batt to relay coil +

1 - 5 of 5 Posts