Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of building the engine for my del Sol I've opted out of using the FITV by using a B16A TB. I feel it looks cleaner under the engine bay, and it's one less mechanical thing to deal with. But earlier today I was able to fix a friends car that had an idle issue. A b7 with a b16a TB on it thus eliminating the FITV like I've done. The way we were able to fix the issue was by installing a factory b7 TB with FITV and the idle issue went away. This now has me thinking, do I need an FITV on my engine for it to run properly?

I know the FITV is the Fast Idle Temperature Valve, it opens up adjusting the idle in colder temperatures and once the engine is up to operating temperature the valve closes no longer affecting the idle of the engine.

I've read that if you live in a warmer region that deleting the FITV will not be as big of an issue as in a colder region. I never plan on driving this car in colder weather, it will stay locked up in the garage during bad weather and winter time.

But another thing that has me thinking is with OBD2 engine such as the y7 and y8 they no longer have the FITV from factory. So in colder weather how do they adjust the idle without one? Does the IACV control this some how in a way that the IACV on a OBD0/OBD1 car didn't? Is there something extra in the programming of the OBD2 ECU that controls this? How are newer cars without the FITV getting by in the winter time?

So to sum all of this up, how will my engine run without an FITV?

· Registered
1,242 Posts
I was also thinking about this. In chrome they have table for the cold start idle and all of that stuff to be controlled through the iacv. And it seems like the fitv is a little bit redundant as long as the iac can bypass the right amount of air at any nessisary point.

· Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was also thinking about this. In chrome they have table for the cold start idle and all of that stuff to be controlled through the iacv. And it seems like the fitv is a little bit redundant as long as the iac can bypass the right amount of air at any nessisary point.
Ah! Didn't know there was adjustments in CROME for cold start idle through the IACV. Good call, hope somebody else can come in and confirm or deny this.

· ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
11,993 Posts
i got rid of it. also i got rid of the coolant lines that go to the iacv and looped them. the only issue is waiting a bit more for the engine to get up to temp. not a problem really.

· Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got rid of it. also i got rid of the coolant lines that go to the iacv and looped them. the only issue is waiting a bit more for the engine to get up to temp. not a problem really.
That's what I figured as well... Not sure why my friends car was acting the way it was without the FITV... I'd rep you if I could.

· Registered
3,918 Posts
I also blocked off my FITV (Z6 motor).

I was actually having an issue with the FITV sticking wide open and causing my idle speed to be way too high (2500-3000 rpm). Since I live in California where the weather is pretty mild I just made a block off plate and deleted the valve and looped the lines like EDD mentioned.

I am using a stock P28 ecu and it seems to handle the change just fine. The only thing that i noticed was that the idle did dip down a little lower than it was supposed to from time to time. Since I wanted my idle speed a bit higher anyway I just monkeyed around with the base idle speed screw until I was happy with the way it ran.

· ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
11,993 Posts

I was actually having an issue with the FITV sticking wide open and causing my idle speed to be way too high (2500-3000 rpm). Since I live in California where the weather is pretty mild I just made a block off plate and deleted the valve and looped the lines like EDD mentioned.

I am using a stock P28 ecu and it seems to handle the change just fine. The only thing that i noticed was that the idle did dip down a little lower than it was supposed to from time to time. Since I wanted my idle speed a bit higher anyway I just monkeyed around with the base idle speed screw until I was happy with the way it ran.
yup i had that same dip, forgot to tell. and did the exact same as you did. played a bit with the idle base until i found the sweet spot. done. ;)

· Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info and responses guys, not sure if anybody notices or not. But the only time I start a thread is when I'm stumped on finding the info buy searching, when I feel the thread could possibly be used by future members with similar issues and questions. I always try to give all the information I can in my initial post of any thread I start. The more information there is on the issue, the more info can be sourced by other members to give. Thus hopefully helping another member out down the road. Rep to all of those I could give it to!

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Great info and responses guys, not sure if anybody notices or not. But the only time I start a thread is when I'm stumped on finding the info buy searching, when I feel the thread could possibly be used by future members with similar issues and questions. I always try to give all the information I can in my initial post of any thread I start. The more information there is on the issue, the more info can be sourced by other members to give. Thus hopefully helping another member out down the road. Rep to all of those I could give it to!
good stuff! i know i got a lot out of it.

· Premium Member
8,201 Posts
The iacv controls the idle. I take the fitv off as its not needed,just use a longer hose from iacv to intake manifold nipple. I'm in New York, it get pretty cold here in the winter and I never had a problem with idle. Obd1 or obd2 ecu motors.

· Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The iacv controls the idle. I take the fitv off as its not needed,just use a longer hose from iacv to intake manifold nipple. I'm in New York, it get pretty cold here in the winter and I never had a problem with idle. Obd1 or obd2 ecu motors.
Always pulling through with more good info ;)

· Registered
My civic
3,475 Posts

As Edd and Trons have said, i had the issue on my Z6. No more FITV. ran a block off plate.

Reactions: SpoonfedCivic

· Registered
90 CRX Si
5,202 Posts
Not that it's any new info but I'll back up everything that's been said. I first bypassed the coolant on mine when a line burst when I was at a race. Shortly after, I went to a Y8 throttle body that didn't have it, then a GSR one without as well. I haven't noticed any issues with the exception my car seems to idle down sooner after a startup after doing away with it.

· Brokedick Millionaire
56,939 Posts
Those that got rid of the FITV did you keep the IACV?

IACV with proper monitoring from sensors means no FITV is needed, if it can react fast enough.

Tuning with 20 tear old technology....get up to speed!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.