·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
d16z6 block
y8 head
b7 dizzy
z6 crank pulley

Im having some trouble setting my ignition timing. Do I still use the timing marks on the z6 pulley? Because I can't get it to match up. The closest I can get to the red mark is if I have the dizzy turned all the way towards the fire wall.

How can I fix this? I also have a z6 dizzy and a y8 dizzy too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep as best I can tell. Bottom end is TDC verified by both the pulley mark and a coat hanger.

Cam gear is set just like the picture. My line is more even with the arrow though.

Attachments

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,461 Posts
use the y8 gear to set up tdc. take the belt off and set up tdc for the crank. line adjustable up with the y8. install

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
use the y8 gear to set up tdc. take the belt off and set up tdc for the crank. line adjustable up with the y8. install
so I literally just put the Z6 gear on without adjusting it and slide the belt on after I set TDC with the Y8 gear?

Sorry I'm trying to picture this in my head. I'd rather ask stupid questions now than do it a million times wrong.

·
4,461 Posts
you set it to tdc with the y8 cam gear. mark the very top of the cam gear.
line your adjustable up with the key way and move the gear until the 0 matches up with the line you drew. tighten it down. youre now set at mechanical tdc

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you set it to tdc with the y8 cam gear. mark the very top of the cam gear.
line your adjustable up with the key way and move the gear until the 0 matches up with the line you drew. tighten it down. youre now set at mechanical tdc
Gotcha. So will this help with the ignition timing? The only way the red line shows up is when I rev the engine.

I did read that the p2p ecu has 12 degrees for timing whereas the p28 has 16 degree. Could this be the issue?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i figured out that I can see the timing marks because it a z6 crank pulley and its not indexed to 12*. I gonna put a y8 pulley on tomorrow and see if that helps

·
4,461 Posts
but I just said, if you set the bottom to tdc, and set the cam to tdc, then index the cam gear correctly, youll be able to use the z6 timing marks........

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but I just said, if you set the bottom to tdc, and set the cam to tdc, then index the cam gear correctly, youll be able to use the z6 timing marks........
but wont the ignition still be off because the ecu's ignition map is set at 16* and not 12* like the P2P is?

I've been doing alot of reading and from what I gather I should be using the y8 gear to set the mechanical timing because I basically have a Y8 motor since the blocks are basically the same.

Same with the ignition timing only I wont see the timing marks because the timing would need set at 12* per y8 and the z6 crank pulley only shows 14*, 16*, and 18*.

So I would need the Y8 crank pulley and re chip my ecu with a Y8 base map

·
4,461 Posts
swap the cams then. use the z6 as well as the timing marks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts