Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello D-Series! New here but from the snoop reading I've done lately you guys seem more knowledgeably inclined than the Honda-tech forums guys, hence why I'm asking here.

I bought a swapped car about a week and a half ago. The car (chassis) is an Automatic 1998 Civic EX w/107k on odometer.

The car has a D15B VTEC. I believe that is a JDM motor and had a couple questions about replacement parts.

On Tuesday night (three days ago), I started noticing that my car was overheating at a gas station. I immediately turned the car off in the parking lot. Naturally, the first thing I checked is the radiator fluid. It was dry, so I was able to use a water hose and try to fill it back up.

As I poured the water into the radiator, is was spilling out of a small hose on the back of the engine close to a couple of heater/AC lines. Someone who is familiar with Hondas more so than I am said that it might be a "transmission cooling line" that wasn't hooked up because my car is an automatic and the engine possibly came out of a manual.

Because of the overheating, I now have to replace my water pump because water is now leaking out of that.

So my post consists of 4 main questions:

1) I need to replace my water pump, but is there anything else that I should replace while I'm in there?

2) Can someone give me part numbers for these parts or link me to the right parts?

3) Does this leaking hose on the back of my engine make any sense to anyone? Any possible ideas as to what I should do about it?

4) The ECU currently in the car is a stock ECU for the original D16Y8 motor. Do I need to find the ECU for a D15B instead or will another ECU be fine?

I'm sorry about not having pictures, the next time I get to my car in-person I'll take some pics and upload them to here. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
So my post consists of 4 main questions:

1) I need to replace my water pump, but is there anything else that I should replace while I'm in there?

2) Can someone give me part numbers for these parts or link me to the right parts?

3) Does this leaking hose on the back of my engine make any sense to anyone? Any possible ideas as to what I should do about it?

4) The ECU currently in the car is a stock ECU for the original D16Y8 motor. Do I need to find the ECU for a D15B instead or will another ECU be fine?

I'm sorry about not having pictures, the next time I get to my car in-person I'll take some pics and upload them to here. Thank you in advance.
1. Timing belt water pump tensioner and maybey head gasket if ur feeling frisky

2. Google they are all over the place

3. What ur friend said made no sense to me. I think it could be a leak in your heater hoses or iacv hoses there are more then a few different hoses it can be back there take a flash light and check wich one it is

4. I think it's optional the ecu it is currently runing should be fine as long as the car is still automatic. Do you have any cels?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey, thanks for the response man.

2) I tried googling the parts but some people said that I need Civic VX parts, and some people said that I needed parts from different motors. I was hoping that someone better than me at this stuff could clarify.

3) That's what I told him. Are there other lines and hoses involved with manual transmissions that aren't involved in an automatic? The hose that the water was coming out of was literally plugged into nothing. It wasn't really a leak, it was an open line connected to nothing.

4) Oddly enough, there are no check engine lights. I did notice, however, that whoever worked on the car last had a plug grounded out that involves the thermostat. I don't know what that's all about.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Hey, thanks for the response man.

2) I tried googling the parts but some people said that I need Civic VX parts, and some people said that I needed parts from different motors. I was hoping that someone better than me at this stuff could clarify.

3) That's what I told him. Are there other lines and hoses involved with manual transmissions that aren't involved in an automatic?

4) Oddly enough, there are no check engine lights. I did notice, however, that whoever worked on the car last had a plug grounded out that involves the thermostat. I don't know what that's all about.
2. I'm pretty sure everything from d16z6 will work same

3.I'm not exactly familiar with automatic I think they do have cooling lines but I think they are oil not coolant

4. There is supposed to be a ground on the thermostat housing itself

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2. I'm pretty sure everything from d16z6 will work same

3.I'm not exactly familiar with automatic I think they do have cooling lines but I think they are oil not coolant

4. There is supposed to be a ground on the thermostat housing itself

2) Could you tell me if this is right? http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-95-1-5-L-SOHC-16V-HONDA-TIMING-BELT-WATER-PUMP-D15B-/160609362859?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:Civic|Submodel:VX|Year:1995&hash=item25651063ab&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

4) It wasn't grounded like normal, a plug connector was literally grounded out with a little copper wire in a U shape. I don't know what the connector goes to but my friend just took the wire out and plugged it right into the back of the motor and it snapped right in. It could be oil pressure sensor related or maybe thermostat, I'm clueless on that.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
2) Could you tell me if this is right? http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-95-1-5-L-SOHC-16V-HONDA-TIMING-BELT-WATER-PUMP-D15B-/160609362859?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:Civic|Submodel:VX|Year:1995&hash=item25651063ab&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

4) It wasn't grounded like normal, a plug connector was literally grounded out with a little copper wire in a U shape. I don't know what the connector goes to but my friend just took the wire out and plugged it right into the back of the motor and it snapped right in. It could be oil pressure sensor related or maybe thermostat, I'm clueless on that.
2.) yeah that should work

4. Sound like your talking about a plug on the sensor is jumped. A lot of people jump the connector that goes to the thermostat switch to keep the fan on all the time

Is what ur explaining like this just a different style plug correct?

ImageUploadedByAG Free1383370968.486961.jpg

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Sorry I didn't read that your friend fixed the problem. But anyways sounds like someone jumped the harness connector like I said earlier to make the radiator fan run whenever the car is on 24/7

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah that's what the connector looked like. I know I sound like a broken record but just to be sure...... I need a water pump, timing belt from a D16Z6? What about a tensioner? I'm probably going to try and replace that too while I can. I ask again because threads like these (http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=896191) say use the VX water pump and timing belt. But then an equal amount of threads will say D16Z6. Some people say VX parts.. some say D16Z6.... ughhhhh.. I don't want to order the wrong shit.

And what's generally the best way to replace such parts on my 1998 Civic EX? On a jack? ramp? or some other method? I do not have access to a lift.. ( I wish)

·
Registered
Ek sedan
382 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts