Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, so in my advanced none knowledge of suspension I went to replace my upper ball joints in my 92 sedan. Pressed the old ones out and noticed my passenger side adjustment plate was slightly bent. Thought eh, and opened my new ball joint and found it pressed in rather easily, and there is free play now. It seems it bent even more under the stress of a fresh pressing even though I was easy on the press tool. (yep im a dummy)

Alright cool story out of the way, am I screwed or do I try and bend the plate back? I mean it is bent up on one side, and the fitment is questionable now. I am pretty sure my issue is ignorance as I tried to use none hard race ball joints, in a hard race adjustable uca.

So do I leave these to some one that has knowledge and use of such things and go to stock?

Is the camber going be off too much running stock over these adjustable set at 0 position, all the way towards the outside?

I have skunk2 sleeves on kyb shocks, old crappy setup I know.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
I would not run that, and bending it back will only make the distortion in the press fit shape of the hold for the BJ worse.

Buy a new arm from a FLAPS, don't screw up putting your nice BJ and bushings in this time.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Didn't know you could press out the ball joints on the upper arms. Thought they were a permanent fixture. I'd just get new upper arms if you have the OEMS. If they are the adjustable kind then you may need to find the replacement arm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How do you like the hardrace uca's? I have the lowers waiting to be installed, but was thinking of doing the uppers at the same time.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I thought the new ball joints came with a clamp.
I did 2 for a Acura, they got the ball joints form autozone. The old ones press out and the new ones drop in and stay in place with a clamp.

but if you bent the part pretty bad id just get one from the junk yard or hit up honda and see how much they want.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I would not run that, and bending it back will only make the distortion in the press fit shape of the hold for the BJ worse.

Buy a new arm from a FLAPS, don't screw up putting your nice BJ and bushings in this time.
That is what I thought. The more you bend it the weaker it can become.

Didn't know you could press out the ball joints on the upper arms. Thought they were a permanent fixture. I'd just get new upper arms if you have the OEMS. If they are the adjustable kind then you may need to find the replacement arm.
You can press them out with the c-clamp tool from parts stores. But if you have adjustable plates you need special ball joints with a flatter top and ring then normal oem ones. Otherwise the plates don't sit flush and you will crash.

How do you like the hardrace uca's? I have the lowers waiting to be installed, but was thinking of doing the uppers at the same time.
I like them a lot, had a lot I could have done with them if this car was straighter and was more racerboi ready, for a daily at my ride height they are not needed. They fit nice are lighter then oem and never slipped on me once. Not sure you can beat em for $180.00, they come with the bushings and ball joints installed too.

I thought the new ball joints came with a clamp.
I did 2 for a Acura, they got the ball joints form autozone. The old ones press out and the new ones drop in and stay in place with a clamp.

but if you bent the part pretty bad id just get one from the junk yard or hit up honda and see how much they want.
They had a clamp but the ball joint would spin, not good. I bought the oem replacement UCAs and installed, they work great. They took the ball joints back, even though I tried to install, so I was only out a couple more bucks. Thanks AutoZone, it really proves if you know what you want they have it, cheaper then most and will help fix your screw ups, always have for me.

Thanks for the help, all though I worked it out after I posted this you all reaffirmed my plan I ran with earlier. :TU: to all. I even learned some stuff about my suspension along the way, hells yeah.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts