Honda D Series Forum banner

Need some turbo size infor

10K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  Jailbird 
#1 · (Edited)
Long time no thread start :D

Well i need some information about this turbo.
Turbo link yes its ebay
T3/T3 Turbocharger
Compressor Specs :
6 Blade Type Compressor
Compressor Trim 45
1.672" or 42.48mm Minor
2.363" or 60.02mm Major
Compressor .42 A.R.
M24 / T3 Compressor Housing
Turbine Specs :
T3 Type Turbine
11 Blade Type
2.508 " or 67.70mm Major
1.862 " or 46.23mm Minor
Exhaust housing .48 A.R.

I am trying to find out how big is it compare to a TD04H-15G or 18g
There seem to be no information about this t3 45 trim turbo. It is an ebay turbo and i have heard that they are smaller then what they are copying but i am just trying to find some information on it for a friend.

See less See more
#2 ·
ebay turbo and i have heard that they are smaller then what they are copying but
not smaller, just less efficient. (moves less air).
like a garret t3 turbine mated to a t4 compressor, sort of.

Reactions: BeerDrinkin
#4 ·
garrett t3 45-trims were pretty small, came on saabs and volvos (they both would switch back and forth from mitsubishi and garrett).
kind of a small turbo to knock off.
smaller than the 50/60 trims on mustangs and t-birds. The garretts were water cooled back then. I have a couple of t3 50-trim garretts lying arount. d-series stock internals will stand up to anything the garrett t3 50-trim can dish out, i can only guess about the ebay junk ...
make about the same power as a tdo4h-15g, WAY smaller than an 18g

Reactions: transzex
#5 ·
Yea i ran that t3 45 trim on my civic. Been running for a little over 3 yrs. Then sold it to my friend. Did have any information on the turbo. He was going to sell it to someone and they wanted to know if the turbo was bigger then the greddy 15g that comes in the greddy kit.

#6 ·
Hello, thanks for starting this up, seeing as these guys seem to have sorted you out, I'm wondering if they'd be generous enough so pass on some knowledge on my turbo size related question.

I'm building a d16z6 with p2p0 rods and vitara pistons, end comp should be 8.3:1. I don't care for drag racing at all, I like F1 so I want a well rounded car and engine for daily and screwing about on nice roads. I am keeping AC and PS. I want good response and power till redline, aiming for 300whp. I have found through the search that .42 AR T3s spool quickly, but when mated to a .48, they get asthma symptoms after 6k and 300whp is a huge ask. I then saw a few mentions of a .42/.63 T3 which got serious at 3000 rpm till redline. I also found that turbo from CXRacing on ebay rated at 350hp. Does this sound legit to you guys?

I have messaged the guys who say they have run this, and i am waiting for their responses also. Thanks a lot in advance for the read and responses (be they constructive or useless lol)

#7 ·
Well, after months of no replies (no problem) I went ahead and got that turbo. Still building but decided to offer up what I've found out as I've gone along.
I got an AC/PS compatible log manifold from ebay for $50, and the .42/.63 AR T3 with internal wastegate from CXRacing's site. When I got the parts, i tried fitting them (keeping ac) with the compressor side facing the belts, the fit was too tight. It left no room for a filter or intake piping and hooking up the AC line to the compressor would be a nuisance, so i spun it around. I decided to remove the internal wastegate set up to save space and also provide more space for the exhaust to slither past the compressor. I had to shave bits off of the block with a cutting wheel and a medium size compressor over the span of two hours, but it fits as snug as a bug in a rug.

I then ordered a downpipe designed for exit on the driver side the curves to slide under the oil pan, i had to cut it and have it re welded...this is where I am. I will try to post pics. Hope this helps. If the pics are upside down I'm sorry, i can't sort it. The exhaust came with v band and a v band to 5 bolt adapter, i cut off the v band bit and had...will have them weld on the 5 bolt. I will be taking the engine to the exhaust shop to have that bit done while it's out of the car for proper positioning.

Attachments

#10 ·
Xile6 provided a lot of insight on the matter of fitting, so thanks to him for that. With the intel he shared with me i got my exhaust routed with the ac on so i know it'll clear. One mistake so far was buying the downpipe. The guy ended up only using the exhaust flange, and making his bends from aluminium. I will V band the rest and combine it with the ss exhaust from ebay to bolt to my car to provide an o2 bung and to not feel like a complete jackaz.

Attachments

#11 ·
looks good. hopefully the heat from the dp won't affect the compressor too much.
after keeping the ac on my setup, i wonder why i went to the trouble.

#12 ·
he could always have the downpipe ceramic coated, or wrapped in thermal barrier.

as long as the windows roll down, who needs a/c?

#14 ·
Well I do plan on wrapping it for sure for whatever that's worth. I have wondered how much crap the compressor will take though, but i will do my best, even if i end up making a little shield lined with thermal insulation to place between the two.

I wanted...want a complete car you know? not something blatantly butchered, I've gone that route. I want to be willing to drive it comfortably weather be damned. I live in Florida and the Heat isn't just a basketball team over here. I'm keeping my cruise control and all too... it's my project car and the most time I've actually taken on one. Thanks for the comments tho, they help make the build more detailed. I will take a look at the ceramic coating because I have a bone to pick with that manifold that I can't wrap.

#20 ·
im in for some updated info. although i wont be running any ebay stuff on mines i heard china is getting a bit better with their quality control. Not sure if that applies to turbochargers. Only time will tell. Even if they got better with quality control they probably still have thousands from back then when inventory control meant nothing.
It works as said i ran that turbo. Sold the car to a friend and he wanted to know if it was around the same size as the greddy kit turbo.
The trbo been on the car for almost 3 yrs

#19 ·
im in for some updated info. although i wont be running any ebay stuff on mines i heard china is getting a bit better with their quality control. Not sure if that applies to turbochargers. Only time will tell. Even if they got better with quality control they probably still have thousands from back then when inventory control meant nothing.

#22 ·
So, after a bit of a Florida winter break, and running up to Canada to hang with the cold fronts for a few weeks, I got back to work on this project. Haven't started it because I'm a bit of a Shikamaru on my days off and i need a foot of vacuum hose. No oil in tranny, linkage still disconnected, cv joints still in box, no waste gate or dp yet.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
Hi there! Using a small turbo over here, also. Kept AC and PS.

Borgwarner k16 (from diesel engine) 44/62mm, 55/46mm, .37 exhaust housing, down-pipe and all exhaust tubing in 2.5" stainless, 2.25" muffler from k20z3 Civic SI.
It starts to boost around 2200RPM, stalls around 4500RPM without vtec, running on E100, altitude 3300ft.

Haven't street tuned vtec map yet.
Cheers!

#25 ·
Finally got everything (enginewise) done. Took a while to get to the exhaust shop but it happened. Ordered a turbo blanket and the lava rock header wrap a few days ago. Though i haven't driven much with the boost gauge hooked up, from what I've seen I'm hitting 6psi at 3500 2nd gear. My wastegate has the 6psi spring installed and I'm still running my cat.

#27 ·
Christ I've been lazy...been distracted and traveling so haven't finished the car...still haven't done a proper tune or suspension just some more heat insulation. The hood insulation works damn good, I placed it right over the wategate area. Also insulated the ac hoses and waste gate vacuum hose.

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
Okay finally finished the tunning a few minutes ago, the set up on 93 Octane made 251whp (tq wasn't available, I'm guessing because i didn't ask at the time or the software that he used) on 16psi. That was with a safe tune not a max power tune. Tuner said the turbo is good and didn't run out of breath. Could make more especially if I converted to ethanol...but I won't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.