Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying a '90 Civic Wagon which has a mini me conversion done on it. It has a blown headgasket that I want to fix before I drive it around too much.

I would like to buy ARP headstuds if I could, since I'm taking the head off anyways.

Which ones do I use? It has a D16A6 block, with a D16Y8 head.

TIA.

·
Formally known as SPONSOREDCRX
3,566 Posts
I believe y8 headstuds are suppose to be used.

·
Registered
323 Posts
how many miles on the short bus? was the a6 bottom end stock? might not be worth just doing a head gasket if someone already did a mini-me and blew the head gasket already.

·
wheres my money man!!
11,333 Posts
buy the PROPER ARP kit from Lightning Motorsports, they hand pack ARP studs just for this issue.
Whats the difference from what i did for cheap and spending the money for ARPs? beside one is bolts and the other is studs?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much for all the quick responses guys.

The A6 bottom end is stock, with 225K on it. The owner tells me he think he blew the HG when he was running it hard climbing a mountain pass in Colorado.

I think it will be ok. If not, I can go and get me a SOHC ZC from Hmotorsonline, right?

(I don't know much about D's, please forgive me)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually live in Wyoming. I gotta go down south and pick up the car soon.

I'm just getting it for use as a winter beater.

BTW, i know this is OT for this thread... but can you still get blockheaters for these old motors? I put one in my '92 Teg with a B16A and it helped alot. Coolant was nice and toasty at 125* when it was plugged in.

Edit: hey its mistabone! I remember you from honda-tech. you were kind of famous there. maybe you still are... I pretty much stick to GDD now on that site.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Should be able too, a buddy in Michigan has one.

He did make sure to "securely" attached both ends, his wife had a habit of not unplugging it.Thankfully she backed straight out of the garage.

POP!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
lol, my GF does that too with her car.

When I got the blockheater for the Teg, I had to use the one intended for the CRV. Since this motor is almost 20 years old I may have to get a blockheater from a newer model... maybe a D17A block heater will work? It's a stretch.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
lol, my GF does that too with her car.

When I got the blockheater for the Teg, I had to use the one intended for the CRV. Since this motor is almost 20 years old I may have to get a blockheater from a newer model... maybe a D17A block heater will work? It's a stretch.
Block Heater 70's 80's Mercedes 123 ,126 300D 240:eBay Motors (item 160359748138 end time Sep-06-09 10:58:56 PDT)

in the mercedes diesel world these are the common choice for block heaters (one of the reasons being, when you try to remove the 27mm hex from the block it can sometimes crack the block so its better to just leave it be), they are efficient long lasting and have no fire hazard. You could probibally pick one of these up and get an adapter somewhere for your radiator hose size. put it on the lower radiator hose coming back to the thermostat and your good to go.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-Honda-Civic-BLOCK-HEATER-Genuine-Factory-OEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1c0c53bd9dQQitemZ120465898909QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories There is one made specifically for your vehicle actually..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts