Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Turbo Upgrade ?

I"m getting a full edelbrock kit that is slightly used from somebody for a great price. I couldn't say no. I'm running a stock bottom end, the top end does have a full PnP head with 3 angle valve job, stock cam, springs, retainers, and a stock PnP manifold with Tb port matched. The head i know was milled 10 thousands. Now my question is would there be anything else i should pick up for the kit that well give me more abilities to tune it and get the most out of the kit or is it good just the way it is? I'm going to try and run more then 9bs of boost if possible with this setup. Will it be possible with proper tuning to handle 91 octane and not run lean or cause the motor to go "BOOM"? All advise would be great.

·
Registered
331 Posts
well 4 one you are running higher compression with a milled head but its not alot i would say 9lbs should be fine on a stock bottom end. also i would recommend a turbo cam to take full advantage of that head.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so would it be better if i put a new head gasket thats thicker to make the compression lower?

·
Registered
Civic
1,281 Posts
it wouldnt hurt at all...the lower compression would make it slightly easier to tune for 91 octane

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to double check. I'm pretty sure the gasket i put in was a 2-layer and i think it was thicker too. That would mean i'm still running close to 9.6 :1 compression.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does make up the difference for the milling. I would say still 9.6:1 cr what else could i do to the turbo kit to make faster. Port the turbine housing?...I hear some people clip it to spool faster but to me that doesn't sound right. Seems like that would take longers since its smaller. Let me know.

·
Registered
417 Posts
i heard a smaller housing will make a turbo spool faster

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would like to just take the kit itself and do whatever i can to improve it without swapping more parts out or just adding to it.. BOost controller,etc.

O

·
0 Posts
do a compresssion test then decide. sometimes depending on your pathway it may not do anything to your motor.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The way i'm going is a nice daily driver that gets up and goes, and if i want to from time to time i can go to the track tune the boost up a bit and spank some b and if i can get enough power maybe even some srt-4's and evos :)

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
ditch the fuel control and go Hondata/Uberdata and be very happy:beer:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
the turbo link it comes with is good for 14lbs...a boost controller is the only thing u can do without switchin out or buying new parts...9lbs is fine to run on your engine setup... theres really nothing you can do to the kit itself...oh yeah im running this kit PM if u have any questions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts