Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been saving up for a while, and doing a bit of research on what I should do. First, specifics:

I have a d15B8 with a little over 200k sitting in my 95 hatch, and a D16Y7 block in the shack with roughly 60k.

In the beginning I got boost happy and bought a turbo rebuild kit for the D16Y7 from FJ Distributors (75.5mm Vitara Pistons, custom length rods, seals, bearings, etc.) and fully intended to have the engine rebuilt and slap on a T3 50 trim (Saab 900 IIRC) turbocharger I picked up from the junk yard--which I had rebuilt.

After talking with some of my friends in SoCal (Long Beach) that build is starting to look dicey. Smog checkpoints are getting more aggressive and now I'm looking at expensive as hell CARB legal turbo kits from Greddy. These POS kits don't even come with BOV or an intercooler...and from what research I've done those are essential to longevity and efficiency in a turbocharged system. Slap on those parts and suddenly it's illeagal due to blow-by...? Nothin would make it better than to have a turbo go-getter...but damn this is starting to look like a bad investment.

I'm looking for advice from SoCal people living in the NOW of smog/CARB happy hippies, and a couple key questions need to be answered.

The compression is going to be different on a rebuilt D16Y7, 8.5:1 from what I remember. It will run rich with a stock ECU and thus fail SMOG in a heartbeat. If I mod the ECU (thinking Hondata S300) then I can clean up the fuel map.

A) Can a Smog checkpoint/Smog mechanic recognize a modded OBD1 ECU via computer or otherwise? I would make the USB port of the S300 internal if so.

B) Will tuning the fuel map to make it lean (and efficient) pass smog, or are there specific numbers the Smog gremlins are looking for?

If I can make a rebuilt D16Y7 work CARB legal then I'll go through with the build...if not I'm probably going with a Y8 mini-me (already have a Y8 Intake manifold for either build).

·
Registered
861 Posts
No reply at all? Is this a forbidden subject or does it belong in another forum?
you should get more help this time of day...im in ny so i have no idea the answers to your questions. where there's a will there's a way, it's all about how much you are willing to invest. i know plenty of people are boosted in cali tho.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing it's the holidays...don't mean much to me, but now that it's over with and the work week is starting again I'll give this one last bump and then repost in the serious discussion forum.

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
well first of all if you have a non CARB legal turbo it will fail the visual inspection, and if you run the car lean Nox will become elevated so try and tune it around the stoich if you can. best bet is to run N/A and smog it then slap on the turbo or buy a smog legal kit.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the Stoich, do you mean as close to 14.7:1 AFR as possible? I had to google stoich, hardly any experience in that area.

If I have the engine rebuilt with the turbo rebuild kit I will end up with 8.5:1 compression and my engine will run rich, that much I think I understand.

So what you are saying is tuning it towards the stoich will pass smog? I'm guessing there is no visual/software check on the ecu that can flag it? That's what I really need to know.

If I rebuild it and there's no way to pass smog with the lower compression than I'm humped. The vitaras aren't 75.5mm exactly from what I've heard so I couldn't just slap in new pistons/rods and go with a high compression build, unless I get the cylinders bored out even more. Even then that's money down the hole...it takes me months to do this stuff with my part-time job, so every cent counts.

Knowing whether I can smog it with a modified ECU is crucial.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You got a couple of options.

1) rebuild it to stock spec and slap a CARB legal turbo kit on it(as mentioned before)

2) Build your Y7 the way you want to and get a 2nd Y7 to switch out when you need to smog it.

or

3) Move out of California, rebuild you block and boost the piss out of it and say f the CARB bs lol

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Building it stock I'd just go for an N/A Y8 mini-me...to me building an engine for a restricted turbocharged setup with no BOV or intercooler is a waste of money. It's Turbo for the sake of saying you got one. ESPECIALLY if it can't be tuned.

I already have a smog engine [my D15B8] but that won't help when the gestapo sets up smog checkpoints, as I described earlier.

Also, right now I'm living in Alabama. I could have turbo'd the piss out of this engine a long while back, but I'm trying to build as good a compromise to CARB as I can, so it won't be hell to pay when I move back. I've owned this car for fifteen years. I'm building this engine to last for at least another five to ten years. I need to make the right build the first time.

While I appreciate your advice, it still doesn't answer my question. Can smog checkpoints or smog centers flag/recognize a modded ECU? If this is taboo, just fucking say so. :D

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
the tech's wont roll up your carpet and check your ecu, the only thing they see with OBD1 cars is the emissions the car puts out. if your ecu is tuned for a certain power goal, then some of those emissions might be elevated. the original ecu is programed to run as close to stoich as possible since thats what the CAT needs to be at to work at its best.

What people in cali seem to do is either rebuild stock engine, high comp build, or really expensive CARB turbo kits which i dont see much or do engine swaps. if your looking for reliability id look into keeping it a stock build as much as possible. :TU:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts