Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought a minime D15 block/Y8 head. Thing is that the head doesn't have a intake manifold on it. But I have a full Z6 head that I was going to put on my D15Z1 before I bought this swap. What I want to know is can I just add the IM to the Y8 head and use a Z6 dizzy to run this minime safely. Also is it safe to say that ALL 92 and up Civics have hydro trannies because I think my VX is a cable? I'm not really sure what type of headgasket was used in the swap so I'm going to assume that this motor is putting out 10 something compression so my next question is what type of spark plugs should I get for them and what size wires should I get also? Thanks for helping me out. I'm planning on getting this put in sometime this week along with a Y8 tranny so this should be some fun to drive.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Yes, all 92+ Civic's with D's are hydro.

Stock-style NGK plugs and wires is fine.

The dizzy won't bolt up exactly right but you might be able to make it work.

The mani should bolt up without issues.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i guess i have to take off the Y8 and put on the Z6? i guess i should also get a new timing belt or is it the same belt for 2 heads?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok one more question. i know the y8 is obd2 but i'm bolting on an obd1 im. will running the p28 stock be fine or does it still need to be chipped?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You really want the ingnition and fuel base map for your setup. When you start changing heads and compression ratios you need some type of fuel managment. I just ran a p28 with my b7/z6 and it ran rich as hell. After tuning I felt power increases and about 6-7 mpg came back. A p28, seeing that all sensors and "stuff" works together should get you started. When it's in if you go out and romp on the pedal W.O.T. to rev limit. Listen for what will sound like valve chatter. Could be detonation. I had my cam gear adj. to -3 degrees until I got my tuning setup. Timing belts are head specific. A b7/z6 mini-me uses the z6 belt, but is slightly loose due to a shorter distance between crank and cam in this combo. Your z6 head will flow slightly better than a y8. Are you in nor cal?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I'm up in Wa. I guess I should've just put the z6 head on. The thing is that the motor is already put together and all I need to add is the intake maifold. I thought since I was bolting on a z6 intake manifold and running a stock p28 that everything would be fine.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry misunderstood you. I think there are some wiring issues between obd2 and obd1 at the intake mani, but I'm not sure what and think they are all overcomable without a harness swap.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got the intake manifold on and the motor in. I'm using the stock VX harness without any modifications done to it. One problem I have is that something on the leftside of the im is cracked so it's leaking coolant. Also the car won't start now. I had to swap over my Vx altenator because the d15b alternator pins didn't fit into my altenator. Could that be the reason why it's not turning over? I mean when I turn the key the dash lights up but the oil light is dim. when i turn it all the way over it does nothing. i don't know what the problem is. is maybe the im and the harness i'm using or could it be the altenator? really need some help cuz the wife is pissed it's not starting up.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no the battery is not dead. i had my wife bring my suv and hooked up the jumper cables and car did the same thing. need some help.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually no i didn't. i had friend there who actually pulled the old motor out and put it in. i asked him was the motor grounded and he said everything is hooked up. also i asked him was the starter grounded and he said the same thing again. is that something that i can check looking down into the engine bay or do i need to physically get under the car to check? and if it's not grounded where do i ground it to?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
look for a small wire that plugs into the starter(not bolts on)
I know those get knocked off very easily

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also one thing I forgot to mention is that the clutch is on the floor. My friend said that the master cylinder needs to be bled. So my question is do you all think that it may not be starting because the clutch is on the floor. Also even if I don't engage the clutch the start and I turn the key shouldn't I still hear the starter clicking?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there is a starter bypass switch on the clutch pedal arm, it make's it so u have to depress the clutch pedal to start the car, if thats what your asking.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright I went back and checked around the bay. I noticed that my friend didn't bolt up a ground wire. so i put it on and the car acted like it wanted it to no dice. the other test i did was unhook the dizzy and tried to start and it sounded the same, basically like it wanted to start but don't. then i hooked it up again and it made the same sound. so my conclusion is that the dizzy is bad. the other thing i was thinkin that my vx harness and dizzy uses to 2 plugs to hook up the dizzy. so you all think i could get away with putting that dizzy back on?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just try it and find out, not going to hurt anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts