Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt a 92 accord 2.2L and the owner decided to drive 20 miles after he noticed it was overheated. He ended up blowing the head gasket and warped the head, but I think I found small cracks in one of the cylinder walls. I wanted to get a second opinion because the guy doesn't want to pay to have it fluxed.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Get some dye penetant from a local welding supply shop. Its a 3 step process but it will reveal any cracks in the bores.

Those probably are cracks in the cylinder walls, but the dye penetrant will give you a clear cut sign if they are or not.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,006 Posts
can you feel it with your finger nail? Id have a machine shop inspect it and see what its going to cost and how much material they have to remove for it not to effect the rings. that in itself may be more than its worth

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Seriously dont get too excited, that doesnt look like a reliable block to me. You should just take the time now to replace the block or you will be tearing it down again sooner then anticipated.

Either your rings will get fried or you will finish the job of boring a hole in your block in a rigid tearing sort of fashion on a freeway run somewhere important on a 100 degree day in a suit.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Maybe after a hone will reveal if its cracked or not. I'd def have the deck looked at while its at the shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts