Honda D Series Forum banner

Need second opinion on AC problem in CRX.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JoelEspinoza 
#1 · (Edited)
Need a second opinion here:

I have an 89 CRX Hf that had working AC, not amazing, but it worked. I assume it was R12 as there were no converter nipples going on.

A while back someone hit let head on, broke the radiator and mangled the condenser, but didn't rupture it.

I decided since I was going to have to replace the condenser I would try to upgrade to one of the butane based refrigerants, I chose EnviroSafe R12A industrial, which is supposed to be compatible with everything, a NOS parallel flow condenser (ports sealed and in the box) and this receiver dryer (ports sealed and pressurized): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FQ0Q30K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Today I started the actual work, had the old coolant drained, replaced the condenser first, then the receiver/dryer. The system was open less than 2 hours on a pretty low humidity day for here, the receiver dryer was probably open at most 30 minutes. Then left it on vacuum on the low side for over 2 hours.

Hooked up the first can of coolant to the low side and started the car with the AC on high, and it seemed to go in ok, but the AC didn't actually start and suck it in. Next can just sat there with the low side up at 110 psi, and no AC compressor. I bypassed the AC pressure switch, and the compressor comes on, but the low side never drops down, just stays right up at 110 psi, and the AC will never come on unless the pressure switch is bypassed. If I open the high side on the gauges it equalizes with the low side, but it never goes higher.

Thoughts or ideas? I am guessing something got plugged, maybe the expansion valve?

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely sounds like something is plugged up. It might be worth throwing an expansion valve at it while the system is open - they're pretty inexpensive and it's not too hard to get that evaporator box out of there. It also gives you an opportunity to clean out the evaporator - I recently replaced my valve and it was truly disgusting in there.

Were you able to find a parallel flow condenser that fits the CRX? I had to re-use my old serpentine one because it seemed like the supply of parallel flow condensers had dried up.

#5 ·
Sorry guys, I have had other more pressing issues and I have kinda neglected this, but I really appreciate everyone responding.

Were you able to find a parallel flow condenser that fits the CRX? I had to re-use my old serpentine one because it seemed like the supply of parallel flow condensers had dried up.
I found one from a user who happened to have purchased a spare years ago and bought it off him at a premium. Sadly I have since ruined it, turns out the aluminum is so soft that I punched a hole in a line with the tip of my wrench while checking a seal. I tried to repair it with some of that aluminum brazing rod stuff, but managed to melt a big hole in the line, so now I am just going to cut the end off the line and try to clamp on a soft line.... We will see how badly that goes.

I dont know what this thing is made of but it must be aluminum colored silly putty, because I have never seen aluminum so soft.

Start over. Introduce the refrigerant without engine running into both high and low sides until pressure equalizes, then bypass low pressure switch and close high side valve, then slowly allow liquid refrigerant (can upright) to be drawn in until compressor will cycle on its on until required amount has been introduced.
Yea, I didnt realize I had to start off charging up the high side, I will try that next time when I get my current issue resolved.

Did you charge EnviroSafe in a vacuum state?
Yes, I am using the industrial stuff which they say can be used with vacuum.

#3 ·
Start over. Introduce the refrigerant without engine running into both high and low sides until pressure equalizes, then bypass low pressure switch and close high side valve, then slowly allow liquid refrigerant (can upright) to be drawn in until compressor will cycle on its on until required amount has been introduced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.