Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im a little new at this but piecing together a kit slowly but steadily, dont matter if it takes months or a year (which is better so i dont blow all my money at once haha)

came across this TD04L-13T off a 04 imprezza. for 100 bucks minimal shaft play but comes w/ a rebuild kit

question:
what flange is it? lil lost on this part
so i can start looking for a manifold for it

if possible, can you link me a turbo manifold for d series so i can keep as reference for flange type/shape

heres pics the guy sent me

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
I wouldnt have bought it.

Its going to cost you more to custom fab something then if you just bought the t3 varient which has better manifold support.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh i didnt buy it yet haha

was thinking of buying it but i dont got the tools or no a spot that would fab it up for cheap, i guess ill try n find another deal
thanks guys

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a TD04L in my boosted setup, so to make it work, theres a bit of effort to make it work, but it will pay off... Most ppl would say dont bother, i say do it, jus because u can do it and b different haha

If ur prepared for a bit of customizing than this is it! As others have pointed out, the first step is mating it to the manifold if u buy a Cast manifold, usually a adapter can be made or alternative getting a manifold fabbed up to suit the flange...

2nd set would be rotating the housings, u would need to clock the front compressor housing so it points downwards, that way most FMIC kits will line up to the outlet, than the CHRA would need to be positioned so that the oil inlet/out are horizontal and exhaust housing pointing upwards

3rd a custom dump pipe/ down pipe would need to be fabbed up, because its a internal gated turbo, u will need to fab up a bell mouth style dump, as its the easiest way to go around it rather than running a seperate wastegate divider pipe

And lastly u will need to cut and make a bracket that bolts onto the housing to hold the waste gate.

this turbo should be good for upwards of 220hp - 250hp, maybe 300hp if tuned with E85

I made 200hp on 12.5 psi so gives u an indication of its size and its sufficient output of power on this motor.

Hope it helps you, best of luck buddy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it sounds too much money for me to fab something up like that, plus i dont no where to fab it up at

thanks for the input though civic_89, really appreciate it. really detailed enough!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
look at my build thread. it doesn't take that much work to make things fit. if your scared of a little adapter plate then your better off buying a kit. just my. 02

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you have the know how. Make it work. If you're gonna have someone do it for you. Make sure you weigh out the cost. Cause if you can buy something for the same price. You should get what would be easiest for you to get to your goal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok guys, so i just found another turbo for 40 bucks, and supposedly in running condition, i dont know what turbo it is besides that its a subaru turbu? heres the numbers:

vf40 subaru legacy gt turbo i believe?

i went to look at it(he labeled it t3/t4 flange) and it look like the subaru flanges i was a little disappounted, but bought it for $40. good deal i think

anyways now i gotta find a flange adapter? anyone no where to look any chance? threads alive again, but with a different turbo lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well yea i noticed that too when i checked it out, spins fine on both sides intake and exhaust. only thing wrong is the fins chipped on intake
then i googled if the fin chipped is ok, turns out its not ok to run it hahaha. zero shaft play, its fins r tight on as a duck tape

so im probably just gonna sell it on cl?
is there any oem turbo's that r t3 or t3/t4? i can CL
bc im not getting much hits on greddy/precision/garrett on CL

·
Registered
662 Posts
There is probably more wrong than just the fins. Why not keep it? Knowing that there was some damage should have planned to rebuild it and replace the damaged parts. Seems like you were ready to take on the task. Don't let it deter you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i may, i dont mind holding it and seeing if i can rebuild and find an adapter

the main thing is finding the adapter or create my own, but idk how i would do that, may need to get creative and find a welder to weld some things together lol
im going to figure out the adapter / welding b4 i look for a rebuild kit, seen one on ebay for 30 bucks, didnt do much research on rebuilding tho

if anyone knows any adapters please link me, i can not find any made already

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
thanks, appreciate that!!
just need to find one for t3 if possible, seeing as this is t25. i did email the seller if he creates t3's or not.

or maybe ill get ANOTHER adapter for the manifold haaha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts