Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres my dilema:

ever since being involved in hondas, (which has only been a few years), i always had a dual cam motor. i guess thats just bc everyone around me was doing it. i just picked up an ej coupe, stock single cam. i know enough about boost and have always wanted to go boost. i now have the reliable resources (cash) to accomplish it. my question is, to build a single cam or to build a dual cam.

i mean, obviously the potential of power to money ratio favors the DOHC but my first instinct is to boost the single and be different than everyone else.

comments and opinions are appreciated. :3dbiggrin:

·
Registered
98 Hatchback
571 Posts
I would suggest searching through the posts in this forum and see what everyone has accomplished with their boosted D's and decide if that's good enough for you.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Build the Single Cam.

This is d-series after all! I'm not sure exactly what your goals are, but here's my take. It's relatively cheap to build a d-series motor for boost. You can get most street driven Civics into the 11's on a Vitara setup with a pair of slicks. As long as that's enough performance for you, then that's my answer.

On the other hand, I personally have no interest in doing a b-series swap in either of my cars. However, I would LOVE to have a K-series swap in my ej8! If you want to do a DOHC motor and have the $$$, that would be my vote hands down.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Build the Single Cam.
thats what i realllllllyyy want to do

This is d-series after all! I'm not sure exactly what your goals are, but here's my take. It's relatively cheap to build a d-series motor for boost. You can get most street driven Civics into the 11's on a Vitara setup with a pair of slicks. As long as that's enough performance for you, then that's my answer.

On the other hand, I personally have no interest in donig a b-series swap in either of my cars. However, I would LOVE to have a K-series swap in my ej8! If you want to do a DOHC motor and have the $$$, that would be my vote hands down.
i dotn want a 10 second street car... well elt me re phrase that. i would LOVE a ten second street car but thats not realistic for me. this is my daily driver so anything more than the 50 whp its pushing would be great lol

budget
end goals
use of the car

these things decide what engine you will build.
budget: enough but not endless pockets

end goals: something i wont be embarrassed in if some1 pulls up next to me

use of car: DD so has to be reliable

location: not that great but theres only a few friends that know where i live and i WILL have gps tracking on it

experience: a ton of mental and physical, just none on my own cars....

based on reliability and cost wise and my goals not being astronomical, i think im leaning towads staying with the D.

either way ill post a build thread as soon i start purchasing parts. thanks guys for your opinions

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
budget: enough but not endless pockets = d

end goals: something i wont be embarrassed in if some1 pulls up next to me = b

use of car: DD so has to be reliable = either

location: not that great but theres only a few friends that know where i live and i WILL have gps tracking on it = better off with a d

experience: a ton of mental and physical, just none on my own cars.... = b
imho.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
i mean, obviously the potential of power to money ratio favors the DOHC but my first instinct is to boost the single and be different than everyone else.

comments and opinions are appreciated. :3dbiggrin:
obviously you are wayyyy wrong..lol you think you can get more power pr $ in a DOHC vs SOHC?? lol HELL NO. price a built bottom end DOHC b series. Vs built D series SOHC. Vitara pistons = hold same power level as stock sleeves...B and D series sleeves hold about the same. thsoe pistons = $150 with rings/wrist pins. 450+whp. so how do you figure $500 pistons, $500-600 rods, $150 bearings in a b series will yeild more HP per $? thats where everyone is wrong and jumps the bandwagon and thinks OMMFG b series so much power...wroonnngg, i see you dont want a 10 se ccar. well with that $500 d series setup, you can. even though you dont want to. SHIT ON b series. unless you want a burnout queen on dyno queen.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
you can hit 10's with the sohc, and $500 dollars. :)

if its a build for pure power, id go b.
if its for cheap power, go d
if its for reliable power, go b
if its to be different, kill yourself. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
obviously you are wayyyy wrong..lol you think you can get more power pr $ in a DOHC vs SOHC?? lol HELL NO. price a built bottom end DOHC b series. Vs built D series SOHC. Vitara pistons = hold same power level as stock sleeves...B and D series sleeves hold about the same. thsoe pistons = $150 with rings/wrist pins. 450+whp. so how do you figure $500 pistons, $500-600 rods, $150 bearings in a b series will yeild more HP per $? thats where everyone is wrong and jumps the bandwagon and thinks OMMFG b series so much power...wroonnngg, i see you dont want a 10 se ccar. well with that $500 d series setup, you can. even though you dont want to. SHIT ON b series. unless you want a burnout queen on dyno queen.
i understand waht your saying. i shuld have been more specific when stating the power to money ration is better for a B. if you slap a turbo kit onto a stock b< and a stock d, both tuned at 6-8 lbs, the B will obviously make higher numbers.

I still havent decided what i want to do, but if i was going the built way, it would be 100% D-series just bc its extremely cheap power. i do appreciate your input though. thanks

you can hit 10's with the sohc, and $500 dollars. :)

if its a build for pure power, id go b.
if its for cheap power, go d
if its for reliable power, go b
if its to be different, kill yourself. ;)
lmfao, option 4 may be my best bet just for being involved with hondas lol

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
what motor do you have right now?
and what are your hp goals? be a bit more specific on your goals, it makes it easier to answer your questions.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
i understand waht your saying. i shuld have been more specific when stating the power to money ration is better for a B. if you slap a turbo kit onto a stock b< and a stock d, both tuned at 6-8 lbs, the B will obviously make higher numbers.

I still havent decided what i want to do, but if i was going the built way, it would be 100% D-series just bc its extremely cheap power. i do appreciate your input though. thanks

lmfao, option 4 may be my best bet just for being involved with hondas lol
yes but 2psi 30psi...doesnt cost any diff. just the turn of a nob or button. tune may cost a lil more. but hey.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what motor do you have right now?
and what are your hp goals? be a bit more specific on your goals, it makes it easier to answer your questions.
i have the d15b, and in the two hundreds would be sufficient for me. i just want to get there. i dont care what way wether B or D i just want input on what others on this site think and/or what they would do in my situation.

yes but 2psi 30psi...doesnt cost any diff. just the turn of a nob or button. tune may cost a lil more. but hey.
i hear ya

single slammer ftw!!!
thats what im leaning towards lol

do both and get a dohc-d
good point lol ZC ftw

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
so how do you figure $500 pistons, $500-600 rods, $150 bearings in a b series will yeild more HP per $?

I agree you can go fast for cheap with a d, but dont skew the numbers like that. Forged piston/rod combos can be had for 7-8 hundred no problem (for d and b), d-series guys just get lucky with being able to use vitaras as a cheap alternative.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I agree you can go fast for cheap with a d, but dont skew the numbers like that. Forged piston/rod combos can be had for 7-8 hundred no problem (for d and b), d-series guys just get lucky with being able to use vitaras as a cheap alternative.
:werd:

if it was not for vitaras, the d vs b for $$ per whp would lean heavy to the b-series guys. which is exactly how it was "back in the day".

·
Registered
14 Posts
since your just wantin in the 200's i day go with a d... runa vitara set up and a nice simple kit ... bc i will tell you from experience... my best friend had a z6 wit a 57 trim and i never gave d series any props... but when i seen it run ... i would rather have it any day then a b.... also look at some dyno charts of b and d's in the same power range... it will suprise you just how much torque a d makes ... i bout sh*t the first time i seen the trq curve of a d lol ... and i have never ran any thing but gsr and ls vtecs in the past

1 - 20 of 20 Posts