Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright. i figured out what was wrong with my engine. i have a d16y7 and i tore the whole engine apart today and the pistons were fine, everything was fine, but the piston rings were shot to shit cuz i have a turbo kit on it and the boost killed them. so now i was wantin to ask yall wat to do. i want to know if it would be good to get low compression pistons, but i want to know if it would work with a stock setup. i just want to run a small amount of boost. i just want around 200-220 hp. i was told zc pistons were a good bet. if any of you experts could help a guy with a little bit, but not enough knowledge, id so much appreciate it.

everyone here rocks! much rep!

·
Registered
787 Posts
viteras cheap and simple hold up to so ar what iv seen like 420whp right fellas i may be a lil low on that

·
Registered
787 Posts
do those work with a stock setup? i just want to put new pistons in, and thats that.
ummmm im pretty sure they will work on stock rods but dont hold me up to that. i dont see y you wouldent want to put in new rods while your at it i have a feeling ur gonna wanna up the boost later might as well be safe then sorry

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good reason, i might go with some later. i will up the boost later. im military, and dont make that much...but ill get some eagles later. thanks though man.

ps, i added u on myspace! lol

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
plus you would prolly end up with high piston/wall clearence if you didnt wanna go with over bore pistons. I know mine on stock bore with a hone has

.007 lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would it be alright if i just replaced the piston rings? i just wanna push a little bit of boost again(7-8 psi). and rings are only like 35 bucks online. im tryin to save for the total build up(pistons, rods, fuel rail, ecu, etc.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i ripped the pistons out about 2 hours ago and the rings were fine, but one piston was cracked around the rings. shit! well, looks like im gettin pistons and rods! lol thats def. what it was! thanks guys for the advice! much appriciate it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the piston walls are still fine. no need to bore. i already bought some vitara pistons w/rings and all the jazz that comes with them. next is gonna be rods. not too sure on what to get though...

·
Registered
1999 civic Hatchback
2,452 Posts
1. Vitaras can be mounted on stock rods.but you have to take the pistons and the rod to a machine shop so that they modify the ROD (not the piston) to fit into it. I have a lot of friends that have done this.

2. Vitaras are 75mm standard so they will fit.. They do run a lil bit loose for some ppl tastes but they also come in oversized sizes so that you can adjust to your liking. The Most powerfull Vitara setups..all over 400whp, have LOOSE/LARGE clearances and have been fine, run fine, are reliable and have lasted for more than a year....all of them still running up to this day.
So stop the whine about them being loose...lol.. they expand when engine warms up bringing clearances much more tighter. My car which was a daily driver and my only car had .006 P2W clearance and i never had blow by problems or bad performance.

3. Take it for what its worth...Its coming from a guy who ran these pistons in the same engine as you have (D16Y7).. who never had a problem with them for 2yrs that i had the car boosted (sold it, still boosted under new owner) and from someone who has sold more than 200 sets of these in the past year.

but i dunno what im talking about..

·
Registered
152 Posts
heh sounds like im in the same boat as 97turbodelsol but with a d16z6 on 8psi.

Was getting a little blow by at first then it quickly got excessive...
Comp test showed 175-175-175-75 (can you guess what on was bad?)
Pulled the stock p28 slugs out and found that the ring land on 1 cyl looks like its been cracked / broke for some time - probably why they guy was selling it, should have done a compression test first.

Cyl walls look ok still have hone marks from rebuild 30k ago. Also found (to my surprise) a main bearing that had spun at some point (glad I found that), but the crank looks perfect - these Honda cranks must be HARD!

Im thinking of doing this will it work this the right stuff?

$250 Rods - D16 - TunerToys H-Beam Connecting Rods
$150 pistons - VITARA G16K LOW COMPRESSION PISTON KIT (75mm)
$90 Cometic Head Gasket for Honda Civic CRX D15, D16 75.5mm Bore
(--- What thickness ?? .030 ?)

With those pistons @ 8.5:1 is that ok?

Some pictures (with me camera phone)..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts