Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and saw some all motor stuff but not turbo. Has anyone done this combination and have it successfully work out for you?

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
From what I can recall it will fit. However you will need an adjustable cam gear (I think) since the two cams are not oriented the same way ... and you may need to degree it. I don't think that the mechanical timing will be right if you use a stock cam gear and line it up with the timing marks on the head.

Other's with slightly more knowledge/recollection than I ... please chime in.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an adjustable cam gear. Tried several settings from retard to advance. The issue im having is that I made less power than when the head wasn't built. Tuner said he didn't want to chance breaking the motor by adjusting the timing. Anyone ran into this issue?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Sounds like the tuner is unsure of how to do a simple camgear adjustment, or is not able to correctly time it. Or is not confident about it.

The easy way is to simply grab an OEM d16y7 or D16y8 camgear, as it fixes the timing orientation difference.

I forget which way, but its only a couple degrees off.

If you have the adjustable camgear, zero it out. Do a dyno pull. advance 3 degrees. do a dyno pull. retard cam gear 3 degrees, do a dyno pull.

Look at the graph and see which way everything reacts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts