Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently purchased a 99 Coupe Ex and have plans to build it and then turbo it. From the little research I've done my plan is to get someone to bore it, put in forged pistons and rods, and a skunk 2 intake manifold. What horsepower should I get out of this engine with a 50 trim turbo? Do any of you foresee any issues with my plan and what other parts should I expect myself to need to adapt or replace as I have never turbocharged a Honda engine before. For example I believe I read somewhere that on specifically the Y8's the oil pump is bad?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,005 Posts
spend more time reading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spend more time reading.
Where should I be looking? I mostly find old forum posts from 2008 or older that don't mention any modern products or companies. Are you implying that I do not have enough knowledge on this build to make a plan or do you see actual issues within what I have put out.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,005 Posts
so what if theres no "modern companies" mentioned? what do they have with what people have already built? do your own leg work. see what people have done, what works, what doesn't, and whats prone to fail.

·
Registered
Waitress wanted
939 Posts
Hi all, I recently purchased a 99 Coupe Ex and have plans to build it and then turbo it. From the little research I've done my plan is to get someone to bore it, put in forged pistons and rods, and a skunk 2 intake manifold. What horsepower should I get out of this engine with a 50 trim turbo? Do any of you foresee any issues with my plan and what other parts should I expect myself to need to adapt or replace as I have never turbocharged a Honda engine before. For example I believe I read somewhere that on specifically the Y8's the oil pump is bad?
you seem to be over simplifying ,have you done much tinkering in the past?
Do some more reading as slow suggested.
do specific searches for each item or sector ..

to start you on your journey... long twisty web

there should be a rule ,you can't post till you have memorized theoldone ...

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,665 Posts
Regarding the oil pump:

Here are the relative flow rates of different generation Civics. Perhaps the oil pump reputation is from 33.4 lpm being the lowest, but is it enough anyways?

01-05 36.4 lpm, 38.5 US qt/min, 32.0 imp qt/min @ 6000 rpm
96-00 33.4 lpm, 35.3 US qt/min, 38.6 Imp qt/min @ 6800 rpm
92-95 45 lpm, 11.89 US gal/min, 9.90 Imp gal/min @ 6000 rpm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts