Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some trouble on my recent engine rebuild. It was overheating so I troubleshooted and came to the conclusion that it was my headgasket. I tore it down and saw the head had some sort of black sticky stuff all inside the IM and the intake ports. So I sent it out to the shop to check for any signs of warpage and had it hot tanked. The hg was in pieces when the head came off, so that was the cause of overheating.

Ok, on assembly everything went well. The car started on the first try. There was a high pitch hum that was coming from the timing belt, but other than that it ran like new.

So the problems arise. When the car was cool it ran smooth and like a jet plane because of the hum. Now when it came up to temp. the sputtering began. I thought to myself the timing is off because it felt like the bottom end was really torque heavy. I took it apart and fixed the timing and loosened the belt a little because it has hella tight. The hum went away (belt was to tight) and it seamed like the sputtering had gone but it didn't.

Oh, by the way the engine is a b15b7.

Any suggestions on what it might be? It would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
The hum was the tensioner and maybe the cam crying for help!

As far as the sputtering...look for a coolant/water mix in your oil. If nothing, then try bleeding the cooling system better. How are your coolant temps when sitting in traffic?

·
Registered
418 Posts
i had coolant issues last year where it was leaking into my chamber and had no sputtering ru sure you have the timing right? Maybe i just lucked out it might be your still leaking did you make sure 100 percent you cleans the block and head off of the old gasket? did you check your deck to see if it was warped?

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
sputtering can be from poor ignition

Try loosening the distributor mounting bolts, and rotating the distributor to the firewall

if this takes care of the sputtering, make a note to get gas from a reputable station

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i did clean everything like four times and there was no warpage at all. I checked the oil twice when i changed it out and there was no signs of water. Oh, and the coolant temps. are steady at normal temp.

mattliston, i got a local opinion and they said the same thing. So, i might change the spark plugs and the wires to see if that fixes the problem. I also ran the car on 91 octane from chevron and it got a little better.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts