Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an 89 civic dx with d15b2 an was lookin at the head an it says pm9-2 an looked it up an it says its for a d16a6 an d15b7 does anybody know what head I actually have on so I can get correct plugs an wires an shit for it??

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
a6/b2/b7 are the same head casting if im not mistaken
just the cam is the difference...the A6 cam is far more aggressive

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok I wasn't sure cuz the internet was only bringin up the a6 an b7 an was showin the pm9-4 for b2

·
Registered
'93 Civic D15B7/5spd
120 Posts
Devin's correct, the D15B1, D15B2, D15B7 and D16A6 all had the same exact head casting, as well as bottom end save for the D16A6 which has a larger crank and rods. The main difference is the camshaft, the D15B1 has the weakest, while the D15B2 and D15B7 are nearly identical, the D16A6 has the most aggressive camshaft and is the best one to use.

Although, the best camshaft to run in the D15B1/D15B2/D15B7/D16A6 is actually the D16Y7 camshaft, it's the most aggressively profiled non-VTEC camshaft. The head casting is completely different (if you've seen a D16Y7 you'll know what I mean, it's like a VTEC head) but the camshaft is a drop-in replacement, as generally all Non-VTEC SOHC d-series cams are the same, except for the D15B6 and D15B8.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I can just pop in a b7 cam an that's it no mods to do to use it?? I was told the a6 cam was better

·
Registered
'93 Civic D15B7/5spd
120 Posts
If you want, yes. Bolting in a D15B7 cam and adjusting the valves properly to the new cam will allow you to run it just fine. The D16A6 cam IS better, it's more aggressive than the B7 cam.

Keep in mind most of this won't matter if you're still DPFI. An MPFI swap with an A6 cam and PM6 would net you about the same power out of the D15B2 as the D16A6 if you're using a D15B7 or D16Z6 intake manifold, throttlebody and fuel rail. They're off of OBD1 cars, so you can either use a TB with MAP on it or use yours on the firewall, you'll have to use your old charcoal canister purge solenoid unless you wire up the one on the OBD1 intake.

The rest is plug and play if you're MPFI on OBD0, just use your OBD0 injectors. You can run OBD1 injectors if you remove the resistor box. I run my Civic hatch on OBD1 injectors with a PM6 and my CRX with OBD0 injectors and resistor box on a PM6, both run the same, I get better mileage with the hatchback but it's an HF tranny, the CRX is auto.

Anyways, just some tips.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok say I want to stay obd0 an use the injectors I have what all do I need to get?? An how do I adjust thevalves for the a6? Sorry new to the hole internal mods

1 - 10 of 10 Posts