Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Honda Civic dx
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a stock 1993 civic dx hatchback. A few months ago I was driving the car and it died and I was unable to restart the car. I can not hear the fuel pump prime. I finally felt like getting it to run again so I starting looking at it checked the main relay. I have 12 volts on terminal 5 of the main relay connector. So I jumped terminals 5 and 7 like the book said and the fuel pump started to prime. So I replaced the main relay and went to start but the pump did not prime. Also I found a 10amp fuse blown in the under the hood fuse box. It's the one closest to the fire wall between two 15amp fuses. Any guidance on where to go from here would be awesome! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1993 Honda Civic dx
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also with terminals 5 and 7 jumped on the main relay connector have 11.97 volts at the fuel pump connector.

·
Registered
73 Posts
might be ignition. bad connection at fuel pump. I think there is a fuse under the dash that also can keep the fuel pump working its one of the ones on the side that's higher and has like 3 fuses.

·
Registered
1993 Honda Civic dx
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
might be ignition. bad connection at fuel pump. I think there is a fuse under the dash that also can keep the fuel pump working its one of the ones on the side that's higher and has like 3 fuses.
Yes I think it's the ignition not sending the signal to start the pump once I try to start it but I don't know what to look for.

I just tested the fuel pump by jumping terminals 5 and 7 and removed the fuel line and it's send fuel through. And the old relay does click when I try to start the car. But wont prime the pump. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
1993 Honda Civic dx
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the ecu good?
I had a bad ecu that wouldn't prime the pump before.

also I can get your a diagram of the fuel pump system. Just gotta get to me laptop and pull it.
Newb question lol How can I check if it's good or bad?

I have the FSM but I'm not too good at following electrical diagrams aha but if yours looks easier to read I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Jumping pins 5 & 7 bypass the relay to send power to the fuel pump. It's really just a test of the pump and it's wiring so you're good there.

Check the under dash fuse 18 (15A).

Test pin 6 for battery power when the key is turned to the start position.

The 10A fuse you said you found blown sounds like it should be the 7.5A ecu back up fuse. The only 10A should for the hazards and there's not a 15A anywhere near it.

Confirm your fuse location and put the correct rated fuse in place. You car can burn to the ground putting higher rated fuses for the circuit.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Is it a stock pump? Some aftermarket pumps need power straight from the battery with a relay and thicker wire.

·
Registered
1993 Honda Civic dx
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jumping pins 5 & 7 bypass the relay to send power to the fuel pump. It's really just a test of the pump and it's wiring so you're good there.

Check the under dash fuse 18 (15A).

Test pin 6 for battery power when the key is turned to the start position.

The 10A fuse you said you found blown sounds like it should be the 7.5A ecu back up fuse. The only 10A should for the hazards and there's not a 15A anywhere near it.

Confirm your fuse location and put the correct rated fuse in place. You car can burn to the ground putting higher rated fuses for the circuit.
Okay I'll check fuse 18 and make sure I have the right fuse in the right locations. But if you're right about the ECU fuse does that mean the ecu shorted or a wire from the ecu shorted? Since it blew a 10amp and there should be a 7.5amp, regardless it blew the fuse so that's a ecu/main wire harness issue.

Is it a stock pump? Some aftermarket pumps need power straight from the battery with a relay and thicker wire.
Stock fuel pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts