Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I new to honda's and I'm building a EP autocross car. I most use a engine and head for a 88-91 Civic, so I'm thinking the D16A6 is the best starting point.

What Mods will make the biggest gains? I looking for more torque than horsepower.

I see that you guys have alot of exp. building D motors!

Please guide me.

Thanks

glenn

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am not sure if you already have done this but convert to multiport fuel injection, get a 4-1 header, buy a better intake manifold, tb, cai.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I do not have the motor just yet. I'm doing the research on a build-up to see If I can get enough power out of a D16A6 and stay in my class.

Glenn

·
Registered
910 Posts
So are the rules any motor from a 88-91 civic? It has to be usdm also right. If yes, then the d16a6 would be the best choice. That would be a quick little autox car with good suspension set up. Also get the si tranny if you decide to go with the d16a6.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
d16a6 power said:
So are the rules any motor from a 88-91 civic? It has to be usdm also right. If yes, then the d16a6 would be the best choice. That would be a quick little autox car with good suspension set up. Also get the si tranny if you decide to go with the d16a6.

Yes you are correct it must be US. The internals are unrestricted, can you help me with what to do, for more power?

Thanks

Glenn

·
Registered
910 Posts
I rebuilt mine with p29 pistons, which are from the 88-89 integra d16a1. They are higher compression. Im now looking for a cam. Crane and delta make a nice cam from what i hear. Then the boltons intake header and i did a custom exhaust with a magnaflow muffler. You would have a nice car with a set up like that.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
d16a6 power said:
I rebuilt mine with p29 pistons, which are from the 88-89 integra d16a1. They are higher compression. Im now looking for a cam. Crane and delta make a nice cam from what i hear. Then the boltons intake header and i did a custom exhaust with a magnaflow muffler. You would have a nice car with a set up like that.
awesome setup, I've got that in my '91 LX sedan :D

I'm putting in the SI tranny later this week, and a d16y8 head gasket. Exospeed SR909 cam goes in as well this week.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
civic90ex said:

I'm putting in the SI tranny later this week, and a d16y8 head gasket. Exospeed SR909 cam goes in as well this week.

Let me know how it goes!

Glenn

·
Registered
124 Posts
yup, go d16a6 with p29 pistons, cam, IM, and good header. I would also strogly suggest getting an Si 5 speed trans, i find it a huge defference over DX or lesser transmissions, much better ratios.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Do you the ratios? or the link for they?

Glenn

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
d16a6crx said:
yup, go d16a6 with p29 pistons, cam, IM, and good header. I would also strogly suggest getting an Si 5 speed trans, i find it a huge defference over DX or lesser transmissions, much better ratios.

Found the Info: http://thenew.gamesbbs.com/~dmoore/tranny.htm

I do not is the differents only in the final drive. What is the final drive?

Thanks

Glenn

·
Registered
A spaceship
165 Posts
Dont mean to jack, but i think this'll help u too. How does the final drive affect the rest of the gear ratios? I've never understood how that all works? Does it change max speed in each gear or what? Transzex, lookin ur way for insight ;-). Thanks!!

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
civic90ex said:

oh shit, what are you going to be looking at for c/r on that setup? sounds pretty damn high!

·
Banned
939 Posts
Can you post the regulations for E-prep? The SCCA webpage has changed and the regs are no longer available online.

I think we can be more help if we knew.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
>
IT's pretty open:

EP rules:
>
> Engine:
> May be lightened, balanced, Such means include, but
> not limited to Shot
> peening, glass beading, heat treatment or hardening,
> plating and milling
> or otherwise tooling.
>
> Head:
> Original head shall be used. Any valve guides and
> seats may be used.
> Compression ratio may be altered by machining, using
> any head gasket or
> elimination of head gaskets.
>
> Cams and Valve Gear:
> Any cams may be used. Cam timing gears, belts and
> sprockets are
> unrestricted.
> Any metal valves may be used, Valve size are
> unrestricted. Valve rocker
> arms, shafts and attendants assemblies are
> unrestricted. Pushrods are
> unrestricted except they must be made of metal. Any
> cam followers may be
> used.
>
> Block:
> May be rebored no more than 1.2mm over standard.
> Cylinder sleeves may be
> fitted to the block for repair purposes only and can
> not change bore and
> stoke. Oil passages may be enlarged, restricted, or
> plugged.
>
> Pistons and Rods:
> Pistons, pins, clips, and/or pin retainers and
> piston rings are
> unrestricted. Pistons shall be may of metal.
> Alternate connecting rods
> are permitted.
>
> Crank and Flywheel:
> The angle of the crank throws must remain the same,
> no change in stroke
> is permitted.
> Any clutch and flywheel is permitted.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
89SiPimpin said:
Dont mean to jack, but i think this'll help u too. How does the final drive affect the rest of the gear ratios? I've never understood how that all works? Does it change max speed in each gear or what? Transzex, lookin ur way for insight ;-). Thanks!!

No Problem, I need to know this as well, I do not know what "final drive" means. Is it the same as the ring and Pinion in a rear wheel drive?

If it is then the high the number the lower the gearing. You times the gear ratio by the "final drive" ratio and you get the overall gear number.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Glenn

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any toughts or feelings on Exospeed products....

Glenn

1 - 20 of 29 Posts