Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, first post and already asking dumb questions. Rest assured that I have spent many weeks reading, researching, and planning, and the only solid info that I have found is that I shouldn't turbo my D15B7. Well, the way I see it is that I'm eventually going to have a turbo in this car, so instead of spending the cash on a Z6 swap, I'll turbo my motor and if it doesn't last, I can do the swap then and already have the turbo.

Bare with me on this, but I will be running 6-7 psi on stock internals and I'm looking for suggestions. There's 85,000 miles on the original motor and the turbo will be a custom kit built by rtpaz.com and will include an external WG, a FMIC, and full exhaust.

My questions come down to figuring out the most powerful and reliable setup for this engine. Fuel delivery, engine management, and ignition......what would everyone suggest.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I greatly appreciate any input.

Great site by the way ;)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
idk where your reading but yes it will last

things dont last when people beat em, run shitty setups, get cocky with boost, etc. be smart and maintain it and you'll be happy.

the thing that gets people discouraged about boosting a d15 is that is doesnt hold up to boost AS WELL as a d16, b series etc. but d15s handle boost like nothing for what they are.

im on my second turbo d15 and i loved both of them.

my first turbo was a d15b7 with 265k on it, ran 10psi on a basemap for 5 months then took the turbo off and the motor is still running fine... and i whopped on it. race and rev limiter everyday.

so anyways yeah boost it.

·
cool title
1,698 Posts
you'll be fine boosting the b7. mine had 180k when i boosted it and it never had a problem. i ran 11psi on a greddy kit without problems, you just need proper engine management and fuel parts.

read through the stickies and search the forums, there is some good info there.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
definitley turbo the d15,
I have my d15b8 turbo'd & I like it alot!

I do have a spare d15b2 incase this one wants to take a crap though.

6-7psi is perfect on a d15
I've went 2 months & 1,000 miles so far & the b8's still running strong.

I'm trying to keep a steady 6-7psi myself,
I have hit 10psi...but thats because it shoots right on up there with the WG disconnected...
(the BC is kinda hard to mess with-in different locations)

but DO boost the d15,you'll like it alot & have alot of fun with it.

GL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I've have read enough to know that it can be a reliable setup, but what I need help with is the stuff I listed above. Is it worth throwing in a big fuel pump, new fuel rail, bigger injectors, aftermarket IM, MSD, etc. etc. or should I just run it stock and see what happens? I'd obviously like to get as much power as possible, so I am willing to invest some money into this.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
just add some bigger injectors on the cheap. i.e. 450s from a dsm. then chip the ecu. with a simple set-up 200 whp is very easy to obtain. no need for the other stuff...

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
?>

whowhaat?!
the prefessor from futurama?. if so let the rep spread if not. dont lie to me boy.. lololol jk.

i think they are contesting that the pvs piston velocity speed or ft/sec will strain the rods and rod cap bolts under higher load.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm doing the same setup as you are now with a D15B2. Assuming you have the complete turbo kit. Only thing left would be Fuel, Ignition & Tuning.
Fuel: Upgraded Fuel Injectors and Fuel Pump.
Ignition: Colder plugs and Upgrade to an External Ignition Coil.
Tuning: Since B7 is OBD1 you can upgrade to P28 ecu or VAFC.
If your concern about boost spike. There's away to create a Over boost cutoff switch. Works great if you have external Ignition coil. Let me know if you need help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It will be fine. Just when its all said and done, have a good tune. Thats the important element to insure your build.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tuning= longevity.

Tuning is definitely uncharted territory for me. I've read quite a few posts in the engine management section, and chipping ECUs and datalogging is a little over my head. I guess i need to find a local shop that has the ability to do it for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well ja plan to turbo my b2. Fun thing is that at first ja put turbo on dpfi :D i have mpfi swap parts and other engine,but just for testing. I know that motor gonna blow. But its my virginity,first engine to blow :D

Ecu shipping isnt very hard. You just have to be interested from this and learning FTW

·
Registered
159 Posts
it will be cool if you do it properly with a chipped ecu. The D15B7 can handle a moderate amount of boost, but detonation will kill your bottom end quick.

If you can afford a topend gasket kit, and $100 for some ARP headstuds, you will thank yourself in the long run.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts