Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just recently purchased a '96 DX Coupe. I want to turbo it. Also, I know the engine is a d-series but this is the newest Honda I have ever owned so I don't know what engine is in it. Also, the intake setup is weird(instead of being like a normal b-series it has what looks like a intake that comes straight out of the block and then has a TB on top of it). I also would like to put a VTEC head on it. Please tell me what I should look for. I don't want more than 10psi cause I want this to be very very reliable.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

·
Registered
99 civic hatch
2,015 Posts
if you want to put a vtec head on, and turbo it, you will have to getvarious items. Search for a d16y7 mini me. get a y8 head and intake manifold and slap one of those one there. then turbo after that. searching is your best friend

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I found a y8 head w/ intake mani that has 44k miles on it for cheap. Since I'm only wanting 10psi max(for now) should I go ahead and put head studs in the engine? Also, should I keep the y8 intake mani for now or upgrade to something else?

For turbo mani I'm going to go with a Lovefab Mini-Me. Tial 38mm WG and Tial BOV. 2.5" Intercooler piping w/ correct size intercooler to fit behind stock SiR bumper. DSM 450s, Golden Eagle fuel rail, and Walbro 110lph. Anything else I should look for besides the snail?

Can anyone reccomend me a good snail. Something that would be good on 10psi(under 250whp for now and after built engine around 300-350whp).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want something I can use now and then later on when I build the engine up. Right now I'm just going to swap the head(give a lil P&P, new valves/valve springs/retainers, and turbo cam w/ cam gear) and then get everything for turbo. I want to have it done by April because I have a baby that will be due end of September and I'm leaving for the Air Force right after and I want to have plenty of time to play.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I also would like to put a VTEC head on it. Please tell me what I should look for.
Just IMO but if I were you I would re-think the Vtec head idea. Vtec is great when you're trying to make a car that gets good gas mileage as well as a good power band but you're just looking for power, right?

Staying with a non-vtec head will make your tuning much easier (esp. if you're going to tune it yourself) and give you a better power band with an aftermarket cam. They don't really breathe that much better to justify the trouble you'll have to go through.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason for the vtec head is because I want good power w/ good gas mileage. Expecially with having me stationed so far away I want something I can drive back and forth.

I'm still tryin to figure out what I can do for tuning. Crome and Uberdata are for OBD1 and I have OBD2 so I'm thinking my only options are converting to OBD1 or using Hondata.

The other thing is do I keep my DX tranny or get a Si/EX tranny and have better ratios.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts