Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there people

As most of you know i have a d15b2 mini-me with z6 head over here in the UK. Next for the project i want to add crome. I have read the sticky topic in the engine mangement section but i'm finding it hard to understand everything as i cannot find anyone in UK who uses it.

I have search for the 27c256 EPROM and came up with this on eBay, would this be ok?? How do i connect it to the computer though etc? Sorry for all the questions, people over here in the UK seem to be shy when it comes to electronics and if they do most go with Hondata.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=290075136908&rd=1&rd=1

As for the actual chip though can i do this myself or does anyone in the UK do this?? If not can i buy it and have it installed??

Sorry for so much question, i have read all the sticky but you ask anyone in the UK and they seem unaware of it's exsistence. Would be good to see more people using D-series to it's full in the UK though :)

My msn is [email protected] if thats easier to help with my questions

Kind Regards

Chris Ellis ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Trust me, no one on the Uk really wants to know about Crome, or Uberdata for that matter. I decided to go with hondata on my build, purely because its somethign people know about. Although that hasnt stopped me having problems!

If you want to go with Crome then teh chances are you are going to have to find someone who is willing to give it a go and se how they do, or do it yourself. Im at the point now where i am trying to find anyone willing to try any tuning method to try and get my build running. I am also contemplating giving it a go myself with teh Hondata system.

Basically, just do as much reading up on the stuff as possible so you might be able to get your shit running yourself, then hand over to a proper tuner, and tell him what you want to use.....

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
i use a Willem just like that. find a source that still has a few 27c chips, and then you burn them yourself from your computer. the burner should come with the appropriate software.

you are probably going to have to read up and attempt tuning yourself. check out www.pgmfi.org, theres tons of good info to be had.

also look into picking up a wideband o2 sensor, i run a PLX M-300 and i love it

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was also thinking about this, when I go to my local UK CRX forum they never talk about crome its always hondata or they tell me to just piggyback with a blue greddy e manage.

Chris thats quite a find on ebay.co.uk I have been trying to find somthing like that for a while, just alittle confused as you would buy the blank chips? and do alot of people use ostrich?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok guys thanks a lot for that. I will join up on pgmfi.org and carry on with my research. One advantage is i have full access to a rolling road pretty much whenever i want so hopefully that will be a good help when it comes to setting up.

Do i need to buy a seperate chip which will need to be installed into the ECU or do you just mean that the Willem will copy the chip on to the ECU. If i do would this be a chip which i could buy? It's the only thing i can find in the UK so far, is 27c256 going to be a good option for me in the UK?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/27C256-120-C-...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160054493889

If anyone can give me advice though of how to get this to the UK however that would be great. Thanks for your time of the ones that replied.

Kind Regards

Chris Ellis

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey chris, as far as socketing the ecu ready for a chip goes its dead easy. Ive done mine and you can order all the parts online at www.maplin.co.uk.
I used a zif socket too so you can remove and replace the chip easy and a toggle switch so you can swap between standard program and the one youve burnt. If you want help socketing your ecu gimme a shout. Burning the chip too in crome looks ok, you just need to buy the burner to do it. These look a bit pricey tho but you can get them on ebay. The main problem i have is what bin to burn to the chip! fundamental eh?! you having a rolling road is a mega advantage tho. If we could get hold of a good bin someone has already got for this set up we are sorted!

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Do i need to buy a seperate chip which will need to be installed into the ECU or do you just mean that the Willem will copy the chip on to the ECU. If i do would this be a chip which i could buy? It's the only thing i can find in the UK so far, is 27c256 going to be a good option for me in the UK?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/27C256-120-C-...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160054493889
really all you need is one chip, but i like to have 2 in case i happen to ruin one or something, plus it makes the whole "burn and swap chip" routine a little faster.

what you do it drive around datalogging, make some changes on the map, then burn a chip using the Willem. you will then take that chip and put it into your socketed ecu, and drive around some more while datalogging to see what those changes affected. repeat this process until you feel that your tune is satisfactory.

what you could do to speed up this process is using a Real Time Emulator. pretty much eliminates the need for swapping chips. it is a block box that plugs into the socket in your ecu that then has a usb cord going to your laptop and integrates into the Crome Pro program. you make changes on your bin, the click "Put" and the changes are immediately changed on your bin and uploaded to your ecu. makes tuning 5x faster. you can find it at http://xenocron.com/products.php?page=moates - its called the Moates Ostrich

lots of stuff here http://xenocron.com/products.php?page=prod_cover

as for chips, search for a company that still has a few Atmel 27c256 eproms

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you will then take that chip and put it into your socketed ecu
How do you mean socketed ECU? Have i got to alter something or add something to it to.

Thanks for your paitence with me on this, it's certainly not a read it and go do it kinda job is it!! lol Def starting to understand it all now though.

Chris ;)

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
How do you mean socketed ECU? Have i got to alter something or add something to it to.

Thanks for your paitence with me on this, it's certainly not a read it and go do it kinda job is it!! lol Def starting to understand it all now though.

Chris ;)
lol, yes your ecu needs to be modified

read the Beginner's Section
http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/WebHome

i always just send my ecu out to be chipped. i dont like to hassle with it. i go to http://xenocron.com/services.php?page=chipping and have him chip mine. price is good, and work is excellent. he also sell pre-chipped ecus if you would rather go that route. although i have seen chipped p06 ecus converted to vtec go for roughly $120 on the forums.

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
yep. there's quite a few things that need to be added to the ECU.. instructions to do so are at the pgmfi link you have.. it does require soldering, so, if you're not proficient at it, find someone who is. :TU: best of luck

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My uncle builds circuit boards for the military by hand for a living so he said he does not mind doing the soldering bits for me. Thanks for your help guys, gonna get reading through the links you have posted for me and will let you know my progress.

Have a good evening people

Chris ;)

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
My uncle builds circuit boards for the military by hand for a living so he said he does not mind doing the soldering bits for me. Thanks for your help guys, gonna get reading through the links you have posted for me and will let you know my progress.

Have a good evening people

Chris ;)
:TU:

here are some chipping kits also: http://xenocron.com/products.php?page=chippingkits
the $25 one comes with the Atmel chip :TU:

couple more good links http://www.xenocron.com/install/index.htm

if you have any more Q's dont be afraid to ask

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
man, i fucked up in this thread...

you need the Atmel 29C256 chips, not the 27c...

the 29c are re-flashable, the 27c are not...

i ope you didnt already purchase the 27c chips :oops:

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
The 27sf512 chips are an alternative to the 29C256 arent they? Can someone confirm that they can both be used the same as each other please, basically that they are re-useable...?
yes, the SST chips can be used in place of the 29c

they are a little more confusing when it comes to burning/erasing though. a quick HT or HMT search should yield a write-up

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well today i finally managed to chip the p28 so will get some pics up in a bit, got some 27c256 but trying to locate a AT29c256 now. If anyone can help let me know. Should be running crome though by the end of the week as got a copier to and also got access to a UV light to erase 27c meanwhile

Chris ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok can i just check as think i may have missed something now i have looked at another site, do you have to cut J12 on the P28??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts