Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I purchased a wilwoods brake kit (Front Brake Kit — 140-12996-DR). So after installing them when I turn the rotors it rubs on the caliber. So I removed the caliber and spun the rotor freely. The rotors looked to be warped. Then after looking closely the hub looks like it has a wobble to it. Which is causing the rotor to rub against the caliber. The weird thing is that it’s both new rotors and on both sides. I’m not sure if I need new front hub assembly’s on both sides or something else is the issue. Appreciate any input someone can give.

The rotors are brand new from wilwood that came with the kit. You think it’s possible the both rotors are warped?
you can also click the image box, and look for the chain link, and upload a url to an image if you've uploaded it elsewhere. you may need to turn down the rotors. also check to see if your wheel bearing is going out
The rotors are new that came with the wilwood kit. You think it’s possible that both rotors are warped?

I figured that from username, but you never know til you ask lol.

can you get a picture and post it? As annoying as this new forum change is, the picture upload is excellent. Just open windows file explorer, find the image after you take it and put on computer, and click and drag it to the text box for posting.

See my 7th gen thread if you want to see how the last post of pictures hsowed up.
Yeah I’ll definitely take a couple photos but I’m not sure if you’ll be able to tell from the photos. I can only see the wobble in the rotors as I spin the hub and see the wobble in it.

Also don’t think it’s the wheel bearing cause I can feel any play in it. If I look down on it from the top while I spin either side driver or passengers I can see the hub wobble in and out ever so slightly. Which is enough for it to rub on the wilwood caliber. Is it weird that it’s on both sides ? Can bent axles cause that, but then both axles would have to be bent on both sides. This sucks lol. Can you upload videos on here ?

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
without your specific car/chassis and what front knuckle you are running, it is hard to give an answer.

If you are running CX/DX/LX knuckles, you need to swap to EX knuckles from teh SAME GENERATION, aka, if ek 6th gen 96-00, only EX from 96-00. If 5th gen EG 92-95, then you need EX or SI knuckles from 92-95

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I have a 99 Honda Civic ex. So it already has the front ex knuckles on it from factor.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
I figured that from username, but you never know til you ask lol.

can you get a picture and post it? As annoying as this new forum change is, the picture upload is excellent. Just open windows file explorer, find the image after you take it and put on computer, and click and drag it to the text box for posting.

See my 7th gen thread if you want to see how the last post of pictures hsowed up.

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
you can also click the image box, and look for the chain link, and upload a url to an image if you've uploaded it elsewhere. you may need to turn down the rotors. also check to see if your wheel bearing is going out

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
have the caliper removed, put the rotor on the hub, bolt a wheel on it, and when the lugs are tight, test wheel for wobble by grabbing it at 3 and 9 oclock positions, and give it a shake. should be SOLID.

slo is saying that the wheel bearings themselves might be trash.

EDIT also, maybe bearings are good, but hubs are damaged somehow., such as rust build up, or a curb hit

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
and yes, Ive had to have rotors turned fresh out of the box. shit happens.

speaking of shit happens, I tried to get your replies in the same post, but this new set up kinda fucked it up. my bad. just trying to make it easier and put all your thoughts in one place. my browser doesn't like this format and its a pain in the ass to read around giant white blobs. my bad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have the caliper removed, put the rotor on the hub, bolt a wheel on it, and when the lugs are tight, test wheel for wobble by grabbing it at 3 and 9 oclock positions, and give it a shake. should be SOLID.

slo is saying that the wheel bearings themselves might be trash.

EDIT also, maybe bearings are good, but hubs are damaged somehow., such as rust build up, or a curb hit
Definitely going to try that tomorrow. I feel like I’ve been battling this car every step of the way with the brake upgrade lol. I was going to do the integra type r front swap with the mini rotors but didn’t realize I need to get 3mm taken off the caliber bracket for it to work. So now I’m here with the wilwoods and another problem popping up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the older brake kits for civic / integra , there were two specific washers that you had to install in order to prevent rubbing. I’ve never installed the dpha kit though. I’d give Wilwood a call.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
if washers are needed, the caliper will sit OFF center. So check for that OP!

What did wilwood say? I assume you fired off an email or attempted a phone call, as no one on this forum works for wilwood....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts