Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i needs opinion from anyone who has experienced rethreading.... my drivers side mounts is stripped and and i went and bought the rethread kit and rethread it. heres the thing my car built and boosted and i would like to know if the mounts will hold. any help will be appreciated thanx...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
block is still in car. already rethread it havent gotten it tune yet so i dont know how well its gonna hold up. i used the oem rethread kit. thats wat it was called. after rethreading it the bolt went in tight just like a normal bolt. but i had to used a bigger bold after the rethread.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Youll be the first to fine out.

But if it were me, I would tap the holes for a bigger bolt, and drill the mount out to accomodate the next size bolts.

You could try helicoils, but not sure how well that is going to work for you. I would keep the timing cover off for a bit, so you can keep a close eye on it regardless.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
That not necessarily true.
Correct! Personally if the threads are all screwed up I'd take it to a machine shop and see if they could put some helicoils in there!

·
Registered
91 Civic 4dr
244 Posts
It really Grinds my Gears when people of my generation are to ignorant to use punctuation, to completely spell their words, and to spellcheck.

.....Remember, punctuation saves lives.

Let's eat, Grandma!

or

Let's eat Grandma!

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
It really Grinds my Gears when people of my generation are to ignorant to use punctuation, to completely spell their words, and to spellcheck.

Let's eat, Grandma!

or

Let's eat Grandma!
hahahahhahahhahahah i really really dont want to eat grandma, she has dust in her cooch.

anyways, it grinds my gears that people still think that re-threading is weaker than the original thread.. a properly installed helicoil (or timsert even stronger) should be just as strong if not stronger than the original threads. i know many people that would install helicoils in the entire block on there old school inline six mercedes because the headbolt holes would allways strip on them.

I personally have also used helicoils with great success on headbolts, main bolts, mounts and even those stupid little 10mm bolts that hold the valvecover down. and i have yet to pull one of those out.

·
Registered
EK hatch
420 Posts

Let's eat, Grandma!

or

Let's eat Grandma!
chillllllax mane, iz all good.:joint: lol at eating grandma

·
Registered
91 CRX HF
1,040 Posts
hahahahhahahhahahah i really really dont want to eat grandma, she has dust in her cooch.

anyways, it grinds my gears that people still think that re-threading is weaker than the original thread.. a properly installed helicoil (or timsert even stronger) should be just as strong if not stronger than the original threads. i know many people that would install helicoils in the entire block on there old school inline six mercedes because the headbolt holes would allways strip on them.

I personally have also used helicoils with great success on headbolts, main bolts, mounts and even those stupid little 10mm bolts that hold the valvecover down. and i have yet to pull one of those out.
^Good info right there. I don't know if I would trust drilling it bigger and tapping it, but helicoils have been known to be stronger than factory threads. I've never pulled a helicoil out or stripped one either. The only issue I've had with them is I had one come out when removing the bolt. Just installed another one and was good to go. If you already drilled and tapped it, I would just run it, and keep a close eye on it for a while.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts

Let's eat, Grandma!

or

Let's eat Grandma!
Instantly made me think of this:

MEN said:
Woman, without her man, is nothing.
Women said:
Woman: without her, man is nothing.

FWIW, I've used Helicoils on spark plug threads. Work great, no loss in compression!

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
OP- as stated before rethreading done right will hold no problem, How did it get stripped in the first place?
Lack of good mounts with added power?
Or did a muscly armed paper boy work on your car?
Instantly made me think of this:

FWIW, I've used Helicoils on spark plug threads. Work great, no loss in compression!
I just had to chase my number 5 cylinder on my other car (head still on block, yes it was nerver racking) but it worked. Next step would have been helicoil and pull the head.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
The bottom line is don't do this in car. Yes, it's a pain in the balls, but you can do it correctly out of the car, an you will be way more likely to booger it up to the point you will HAVE to timesert it, and I DON'T recommend anyone do that on anything critical their first time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok thanks people for your help. the block was helicoil im going to try out 10 psi on it first then if it holds i will boost it up alot more... getting the car tune next week.....excited about it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
As long as it has been done right you should be straight, i re-tapped my transmission where the rear bracket bolts up, threads worked banging snapped a bolt off but them threads held up nicely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts