Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i just recently finshed my d16 and now am ordering turbo parts , I still am trying to figure out what turbo would work the best for me
It’s a d16y8 with 8:8:1 comp with vitara pistons , speedfactory rods. shimmed oil pump, arp head studs, brian Crower stage 2 cam, adjusted valves/springs/retainers.
also has skunk2 pro intake manifold which I will run with the turbo setup. Stage 4 clutch, lighter flywheel.

Power goals are 350whp and I want the turbo to spool fast. This is budget build atleast for me so I wouldn’t mind buying a China turbo and replacing it after it blows lol.

I have heard about the gtx3258r about being one of the better China turbos around. I see all the gt35s on eBay for $100 but that just seems way to cheap for me. So what’s a decent budget turbo that will spool fast for my setup.will be Driven on streets and will be at the track here and there

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,635 Posts
"budget build"

wants to spend more money when cheap parts shit the bed. hasn't even mentioned the tuning aspect.

but then again, thankfully vw didn't come with turbos, or Volvos, or subarus, or fords, and end up parted out

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,475 Posts
"budget build"

wants to spend more money when cheap parts shit the bed. hasn't even mentioned the tuning aspect.

but then again, thankfully vw didn't come with turbos, or Volvos, or subarus, or fords, and end up parted out

... dude a furd turbo is not compatible with honda engines..

and you forgot dodge.

·
Registered
359 Posts
hello, i just recently finshed my d16 and now am ordering turbo parts , I still am trying to figure out what turbo would work the best for me
It’s a d16y8 with 8:8:1 comp with vitara pistons , speedfactory rods. shimmed oil pump, arp head studs, brian Crower stage 2 cam, adjusted valves/springs/retainers.
also has skunk2 pro intake manifold which I will run with the turbo setup. Stage 4 clutch, lighter flywheel.

Power goals are 350whp and I want the turbo to spool fast. This is budget build atleast for me so I wouldn’t mind buying a China turbo and replacing it after it blows lol.

I have heard about the gtx3258r about being one of the better China turbos around. I see all the gt35s on eBay for $100 but that just seems way to cheap for me. So what’s a decent budget turbo that will spool fast for my setup.will be Driven on streets and will be at the track here and there

I just quickly looked up your turbo on Ebay because I was curious, and they specify in the ad:

"Approximate Horsepower Range for Engine Capacity
450-750Hp (2.0L-4.5L) "

without compressor maps it's obviously pretty difficult to make any conclusion but I'm pretty sure a turbo rated to produce 100-400hp OVER what you are looking for isn't going to give you efficient operation.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,063 Posts
Budget and going fast? You need to go the nitrous route instead of turbo. You'll have lots of fun and when it blows you'll be fine.

Or

If you want to actually meet all of your goals, you should consider a Garrett GT28RS. Spools quickly (as in full boost at 3k rpms), will meet the horsepower that you think you want (which by the way will likely scare the piss out of you in a Honda). (And I don't mean in a good way, I mean in a holy cow I did no suspension work, ran it through the ditch, narrowly missed some trees, creamed that mail box, kinda way, not the ripper vid on YouTube way). Oh yeah, and don't think that you're just going to magically God's gift to tuning. You will have to take it to a competent tuner that knows D series and knows turbo d series, and is familiar with the turbo you're running. All of those things are becoming more and more rare these days. Most have given up on the D, and don't understand how timing effects a turbo D. (big hint here, they don't like lots of timing in boost)

So

Back to my original statement. Instead of trying to build a turbo car, which takes a lot of planning, and a ton of tuning. Constant attention or something blows up. Why don't you consider the nitrous route. Fill the bottle, get a controller that adds fuel, and presto. You're in business. Go moderately fast and no Chinese turbo or blow off valve or waste gate or exhaust manifold or expensive tune to worry about.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,475 Posts
Budget and going fast? You need to go the nitrous route instead of turbo. You'll have lots of fun and when it blows you'll be fine.

Or

If you want to actually meet all of your goals, you should consider a Garrett GT28RS. Spools quickly (as in full boost at 3k rpms), will meet the horsepower that you think you want (which by the way will likely scare the piss out of you in a Honda). (And I don't mean in a good way, I mean in a holy cow I did no suspension work, ran it through the ditch, narrowly missed some trees, creamed that mail box, kinda way, not the ripper vid on YouTube way). Oh yeah, and don't think that you're just going to magically God's gift to tuning. You will have to take it to a competent tuner that knows D series and knows turbo d series, and is familiar with the turbo you're running. All of those things are becoming more and more rare these days. Most have given up on the D, and don't understand how timing effects a turbo D. (big hint here, they don't like lots of timing in boost)

So

Back to my original statement. Instead of trying to build a turbo car, which takes a lot of planning, and a ton of tuning. Constant attention or something blows up. Why don't you consider the nitrous route. Fill the bottle, get a controller that adds fuel, and presto. You're in business. Go moderately fast and no Chinese turbo or blow off valve or waste gate or exhaust manifold or expensive tune to worry about.

man, what a buzz kill , and shit goes down even if you pays attention..:)

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,063 Posts
He's not lying. He's blown them up, I've blown them up, many have blown them up because sometimes things just happen that are out of your control. Turbo is awesome, and very streetable, but budget............. If you're thinking you can do this even on a grand, you can't and it live much longer than, "you remember that one time I had that car that did those sick burnouts that one night. Man, I wish it hadn't blown up so quickly." And I'm seriously not trying to be a buzzkill or a naysayer. Turbo takes a lot of knowledge and a lot of money to get it right. And when it's right, its amazing. And when it goes wrong or decides to go wrong for you, it's bad. Like, you're so pissed off at it you let the car sit in the woods for a year so it can think about what it did wrong...................oh wait, that was me. I did that. I've just seen too many guys give up because they wanted turbo power, but didn't understand the amount of work and maintenance that it takes to have one, and it have half a chance to live. It will no longer be just your old Honda beater that just won't die. It will die quick, fast, and in a hurry at the power level you're looking for. 200 whp in a Civic is fast. 250whp in a Civic keeps up with most anything on the street and goes fairly straight. 300whp Civic is outrunning the hot cars on the street and feeling like a jet powered canoe. 350whp is on the borderline of losing control because its not enough power that it annihilates the tires, so sometimes it does quirky things like get traction then finds the side ditch.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,635 Posts
I wish my work drive wasn't so strong. then I could finally get mine built....but 40/hr + weeks are pretty good right now lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts