Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys i made this thread to inform all who read i will be starting a build and am wanting to have around 300-400 HP, not really sure what i need to buy first though? So i figure why not ask fellow D series members that have experience and knowledge. To start with i have a 97 civic EX 5 speed, D16Y8 stock, im willing to spend up to 3000 , this would be over a long period of time of course but time and learning is something i need. instead of jumping into something i doent understand i want to fully understand each concept of a turbo setup. If yall guys could lead me in a good direction for a start it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And just for starts as of 8/18 i will have $500 and will need to buy parts, any brands or parts that have been successful in your experiences will narrow my decision on first parts. thanks

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
your next stop should be rcautoworks.com bob sells cusotm length rods to keep your compression up if you use suzuki vitara pistons. which alot of us do. also maybe go with a 75.5mm vitara piston so you dont have the dreaded slap sound.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your next stop should be rcautoworks.com bob sells cusotm length rods to keep your compression up if you use suzuki vitara pistons. which alot of us do. also maybe go with a 75.5mm vitara piston so you dont have the dreaded slap sound.
thanks man, i had actually looked at those at rcautoworks.com and was planning on getting there rods with the vitara 75.5mm pistons for $415 as my start, but what about fitment? will they fit the block fine? or will i need to have work done to my block first?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
get the block out and buy rods and pistons then send the whole shebang to the machine shop and get them bored/honed block leveled and crankshaft polished.

Bottom end is done.
and for all that what would be a reasonable price you think?

·
Registered
68 Posts
You could read one of the 50 build threads that are like the one you want to build. So many vitara 300hp builds have been done. Just check the yellow pages and ask around for good machinist in your area.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ya use the search bar man. It's your friend. It makes things a lot easier on yourself (aka avoiding flaming)

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
and for all that what would be a reasonable price you think?
machine work should be under 250$ or else your getting ripped, unless the shop has to do extra work like notch the block, line hone bores, dismantle and clean blah blah. Or if the shop is renound for doing high quality work they may charge a premium price, but i would expect .0001 tolerances to what i specify.

so 250 for machine work, 400$ for rod/piston combo off of rcautoworks ( could be bought elsewhere, but they currently have the only custom size rods for the application) another 80ish for gasket set and 100$ for bearings another 100$ for oem oil pump brand new then ARP headstuds for whatever head you are going to run 120$ and the bottom end is complete.

so to break this down:

250 for bore/hone cylinders for vitara pistons, and mill block true and micropolish crankshaft(high estimate, better to overestimate)
450$ rods/pistons plus rings shipped from rcautoworks
100$ for gasket set shipped
100$ for bearings shipped
100$ for oil pump shipped.
120$ arp headstuds

All comes out to 1120$ flat out for a complete 400whp prepped lower end. if your really stretching your pennies you could take apart your old oil pump and port/check the rotors to make sure its in running condition and re-use it to save some cash.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay and now needing information on a head guys, what would be a good head setup? should i get a different head? or what?

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
1,831 Posts
just a stock head with after market valve springs and a delta 272-2 cam, use your intake manifold and put a 60-65mm tb on it (around 300$)

and if your really ambitious you can clean up the castings in your head. its like porting it but you dont change the ports just clean them up with a die grinder

take what me and cervin said. thats 1420 and you then have 1600 for a tuebo setup and odds and ends and bam 300 whp for 3000

then you need a clutch and tune

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just a stock head with after market valve springs and a delta 272-2 cam, use your intake manifold and put a 60-65mm tb on it (around 300$)

and if your really ambitious you can clean up the castings in your head. its like porting it but you dont change the ports just clean them up with a die grinder

take what me and cervin said. thats 1420 and you then have 1600 for a tuebo setup and odds and ends and bam 300 whp for 3000

then you need a clutch and tune
And with the head like that will it be able to handle 400 whp?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts