Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i have a zc sohc no vtec that i'm doing a vitara setup and wondering how to put the main bearings on??? do i just lube it up and put them on? what's the purpose of plasitgage??

·
Registered
CRX, Wrangler
397 Posts
I don't want to appear like I'm being an ass, but you have a lot more learning to do.

There's a dimension that needs to be held between the bearing surface, and the crank. When the crank is spinning, it's sliding on a film of oil. The distance between the bearing surface and the crank is what determines whether your slipping (like it should be) or tearing the oil, and causing unnecessary friction.

Plastigauge is used to determine the distance between the crank and the bearing when the girdle is torqued down. You put a little strip of plastigauge on the new bearing, and then you install the crank (don't turn it) and then torque down the crank girdle. You remove the whole thing, and then you compare how much the plastigauge squished to a chart that comes with the plastigauge. That will tell you (about) how much distance is between the bearing and the crank.

The prefered method is to have the whole block and crank mic'd by a professional, so that you know exactly what size bearings you need.

Or you can check the codes stamped on the block, and the numbers punched on the rods, and use the chart in the factory service manual to see what color code bearings you should buy from Honda.

I have to go. Hope this helps.

-Des!

EDIT: If you're changing your pistons, I think you have to have the rotating assembly balanced so that your engine doesn't vibrate apart. I'm not 100% sure how that works with a vitara setup.

When you change the weights of the pistons (like when you swap them) you have to rebalance the crank so that it spins with minimal stress.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts