Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i recently just fried my piston rings so i was gonna replace them then decided i would like to bore them out and get oversized pistons. so first question. what do i need and what should i get to do this.
also i would like to put a cam and cam gear in the head and get it ported and polished. second question. would would i need to get for this and who do i get them from to make this possible. reminder. i live in Wiscasset Maine

·
Registered
2005 Civic Si
2,779 Posts
1st off, welcome to the site.

If I were you, id buy the new o/s pistons and o/s rings. then pull out your engine, bring it to the machine shop. and let them do the work. as far as the cam and P&P you will have to strip the head down completely send that to the machine shop (unless you know what your doing and have the right equip) have them P&P your head. while your at it get new valve guide seals, new valve springs (because your using a higher lift cam) possibly a valve job (since your in there) and mill the head to make sure its square. your looking at some serious cash. unless you just want to slap a cam in an call it a day.

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
What are your hp goals?

How much money do you have ? I can tell you that's no enough.

IMO don't buy anything until you have read a lot of the post here and www.turbod16.com

Make a list of all the pieces you'll need, decide what OEM parts you want, talk to the local repair shops and find out who they use for machine work.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as for the money issue i make anywhere from 400 to 650 a week. i mean im just a normal guy(as normal as can be) with bills and all that so it cant all go into my car(wish it could) but i have almost 200,000 miles on this motor now do you think it would be a very poor tempary choice to throw a cam & cam gear in and call it a day. untill i have the money to work the head? plus i was thinking about putting a pulley kit on aswell. and this winter getting an intake manifold and throttlebody. with fuel rail????

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
do not bore the block unless you HAVE TO because of it being in bad condition. you will not gain any hp by boring a 1.6 .020 over. all it does is unnecessarily weaken your cylinder walls.

you need to set goals before spending any money (on pistons, rings, or anything else). do you want to stay all motor or go turbo? that is the first thing you need to decide. once you have that decided, then choose your horsepower goals and research what it takes to get you there.

if you just need to get it back on the road, get a new set of rings and stick the stock pistons back in while you make up your mind on long term goals.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
as for the money issue i make anywhere from 400 to 650 a week. i mean im just a normal guy(as normal as can be) with bills and all that so it cant all go into my car(wish it could) but i have almost 200,000 miles on this motor now do you think it would be a very poor tempary choice to throw a cam & cam gear in and call it a day. untill i have the money to work the head? plus i was thinking about putting a pulley kit on aswell. and this winter getting an intake manifold and throttlebody. with fuel rail????
like i said, do some research before spending money. pulley kit is one of the biggest wastes of money you could do.

seriously just keep it stock for now and start reading before you try to make your car faster. it WILL save you money in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts