Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone. so I know it's not a D series but I seem to get more help an intelligent answers on here than on HT. I have a boosted gsr swapped civic that I recently just added a catch can setup to because I was having your basic blowby issue out the VC and dipstick tube. I'm running 15 psi btw. so anyway I wanted to fix the messy issue and added this budget catch can setup a couple weeks ago. so yesterday I went the the strip to go have some fun and test out my setup. did one pass against a GT stang (which I blew his doors off btw lol) and came back to the pit area to give it a break for a bit and take a look under the hood. when I did, I found my catch can covered in oil and everything underneath as well. checked my oil and it had blew out a 1/2 a quart! now before the catch can, when it was just the black box to the IM, it wasn't hardly that much oil that would come out. just didn't like the mess it would slowly make. so I'm wondering what I did wrong with the the setup. I'm venting off the 2 ports off the back of the block. here's some pics of my setup. any input or advice is much appreciated guys. thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
As far as I know, there is only one oil vent hole in the back of the block. It is where the black box fits and it is really a drain back, not a vent.

To do it right you need some decent vents from the valve cover venting from above the factory baffle.

Does oil blow out the filter you have on the factory valve cover vent?

Did you leave the factory PCV as it was? If so is its check valve working?

It seems to me that you probably have an engine problem and no catch can will solve that, but it also seems you do not have enough vents from the correct area.

I like to run several large vents from the valve cover.

I like to do away with the factory PCV and close of the port on the manifold.

I like to run the vents into the top of the catch can and run a drain back line from the bottom of the tank to the port in the block that the black box fitted to. Heck, I don't mind leaving the black box in place and sending the drain back line to it.

I am wondering about your catch can and the only description you offer is cheap. Did you get exactly what you paid for?

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
you said you always had some blowby, but it increased with the new can?

seems like there was damage before and when you dragged it, you added more damage.

Do like stated above, compression testing.

do you get a bunch of blowby if you pour a capful of ATF into each cylinder?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hes got a bseries motor and it has the freeze plugs in the back which can be used like he has. all the b-series guys do it like how he has it setup. id say something is wrong with your motor if its got that much blowby
thats kinda what i was afraid of it possibly being. this was my 1st full build that I did all by myself. it did go together smoothly. the one thing I did that I'm thinking maybe i shouldn't have was when I filed my rings I gapped them to the moderate turbo build spec according to the paperwork that came with my je pistons and rings and maybe I should have just left them alone. also i set the ring placement to honda oem instead of je's recomendations. no I havn't done a dry/wet compression test yet. I'll do that tommorow and post up my findings. I did do a dry compression test on it before I threw my turbo back on after about 1k on the motor and the numbers were low for what I thought. 180-185 psi on all 4 cylinders with 10:1 cr pistons, but i was hoping it was just maybe my rings hadn't completely seated yet. I have about 3k on the motor now. so would it be better to run my lines from off the VC instead of the back of the block? I thought from off the block would be the quickest route to release the crankcase pressure?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I will have a look at a B series block tomorrow to see, but generally, the further the breather is away from oil splash, the less oil carried over by the breather. A drain back is always a good idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright so here's my dry/wet compression test results

____4__ 3 __ 2 ___ 1
dry 190 180 195 178

wet 260 280 250 260

that was with a tablespoon of 10-30 to each cyl. seemed like alot so i hope i didn't put too much. so it's lookin like its probly the rings im guessin? I expected a jump but damn! oh and since i was there here's a couple pics of my spark plugs. do those look ok or to lean?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
180-280?!?! Holy WTF batman. Thats a MASSIVE jump in comp from the dry to wet... i think you have a ring issue my friend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep guess I'll be replacing rings here in the near future. but besides that, is it ok to run my catch can the way it is off the block once my rings are good or would I still end up with the same problem of it filling up faster than if it vented off the VC?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i would add a oil drain back into the motor off the catch can, but other than that your lines are fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so where exactly do i hook up the drain line up to on the block? the black box hole is plugged now with an billiet aluminum cap. does it or can it go to the smaller nipple higher up that the black box was also connected too? seems like it would be too small for a drain back. or do I need to get a freeze plug and drill and tap it for a barb fitting?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I think Goautoworks has a fitting that screws into the block where the black box goes. Also I thought I saw that you had a breather connected there..

By the way you plugs look perfect and show no signs of low burning oil.

From what I can find a US tablespoon is 15cc. 15cc makes a significant difference to compression, however half as high again is extreme. That indicates your compression rings might not be sealing properly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah everything seems to be pointing to the rings. pat if you click on the 3rd pic on my original post you will see my 1 of my catch can lines and fitting on the block and directly below it you will see a billet aluminum plug. that's where the black box normally goes in. the hole is not threaded and the plug has 2 O-rings to keep it sealed. I added a little bit of hondabond to them before I put it in just to be safe. so do you think a tablespoon was to much oil in the cylinders? I'm sure it probly wouldn't jump so high if there was less oil

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
A tablespoon was to much. A teaspoon is plenty.

The tablespoon definitely exaggerated the jump, but even so the jump indicates poor ring seal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i just seen the fitting from go autoworks you were talking about however those are only for D's. if you look at the kit for the B's they give 2 fittings for where the freeze plugs are and a block off plug for where the black box goes. i have mine setup up just like that, but just with barb fittings instead of AN fittings. thats why I'm unsure where I would run the drain back line too. so if I vented off the VC as well, u think that it would minimize the oil getting pushed into the catch can since then it would be venting more up top?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts