Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the Auto Meter a/f ratio gauge but I don't know where to hook the signal wire up at. It said something about the 02 sensor in the intrustions but it also said something about the wiring harness. Has anyone installed this gauge before and if so can you tell me the easiest way to do it. Thanks

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
one wire ground
one power for light
other goes to the O2 signal wire to the ecu
Look at wiring schematics in chiltons or helms manual.
Thinkin red wire, but i have obd1

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there's a shit load of wires going to the ECU lol...I don't know which one is the signal wire for the 02 sensor. I don't want to install it on the 02 sensor itself b/c I don't really want the wires for the gauge on the outside of the car. I know the red is hot and the black is ground and the violet goes to the 02 sensor signal wire. I just need to find out which wire going to the ECU is the 02 signal wire.

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
i learned a lot from the schematics in the manual....it will tell you exactly which color wire your looking for..i think you should run it from the o2 wiring not the harness itself... green or white i forgot which one,,, i used to have a y8.

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok cool I guess I'll just hook it straight up to the 02 sensor. Im sure it does give you a much better reading. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
sleepee said:
from what i heard don't you get more of an accurate reading if its hooked to the 02 sensor rather than the ECU harness?
you never get a accurate reading unless your using a wide band o2 sensor(300 bucks or more). Otherwise your just using this for a ball partk setting. If junking your harness for a ballpark(Auto meter) reading then go for it1

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not everyone has just 300 bucks to throw away. Im just using it for now. I also wont be able to tune for a while and Im interested in how rich I am. I went from 30mpg to around 22-23 when I put my cam in. I just wanted one and Im splicing into the 02 sensor anyway dude, I already said that. Im not "junking" my harness.

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
i love honda said:
not everyone has just 300 bucks to throw away. Im just using it for now. I also wont be able to tune for a while and Im interested in how rich I am. I went from 30mpg to around 22-23 when I put my cam in. I just wanted one and Im splicing into the 02 sensor anyway dude, I already said that. Im not "junking" my harness.
a cam creates different engine flow characteristics...you have greater lift, and also longer duration....that= more air/fuel flow,,ie consumption.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Toddnos said:
you never get a accurate reading unless your using a wide band o2 sensor(300 bucks or more). Otherwise your just using this for a ball partk setting. If junking your harness for a ballpark(Auto meter) reading then go for it1

thats why i slapped a "?" (question mark) at the end of my post....I wasn't telling him as a mechanics P.o.V.

and of course everyone should know a wideband would be more accurate but with the normal gauge wouldn't he be getting a better reading from the o2 sensor itself rather than the harness on the ECU?

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand what you're saying and I think you're probably right too. I just don't have the money for a wideband right now. Im gonna have it dyno tuned and hope for the best right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts