Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i'm going go install a water temp, oil pressure guage and a oil temp. when i reinstall my motor. so here's my problem.

i know where the OEM oil pressure senor is on the block. so them simple way is to swap the sensor there and call it a day. but i want to keep my OEM sensor with the add aftermarket sensor/guage combo.

so how can i make this work?

can i splice/cut the OEM harness wire and just connect it to the aftermarket sensor?

if so would the distort/flucs the reading?

i really don't know where to connect the oil temp sensor?

i have the water sensor connect to the top rad hose.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Get a Oil Sandwich adapter?

Tap oil pan for oil temp gauge?

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a Oil Sandwich adapter?
my DOHC ZC has an oem oil cooler.
Tap oil pan for oil temp gauge?
i might have to buy one done already

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
What you can do is get a BSPT-1/8 NPT adapter then run a braided line to the firewall where you could T the oilpressure sensor and the oil temp sensor. If you want to keep the stock oil pressure sensor just T it off at the back of the block. You dont want to hang the oil pressure sensor off the back of the block due to weight they have been known to break on people and you dont want that. This is something like the setup I have on my car and I have not had one issue with leaking nore breaking. Ill have to look around to find where I got my adapter but it was some car site it was a bit pricey at 15 bucks but it works and is the right way to do it.

Found it Im sure if you looked on Mcmastercarr' site you could find it for cheaper
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=302&cat_key=89&prodname=British+Pipe+Thread+male+to+NPT+Female

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's a start..

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I run a 1/8" T on the back of the block with the factory pressure sensor and aftermarket pressure line to gauge. I run the oil temp gauge from a tapped hole in the oil pan. I only use mechanical gauges not electric. I trust them more but you have to run lines to the interior of the car. You want the temp sensor in the pan for the best reading.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i haer the samething in the sense to use a mech guage over a electrical. but i have a electrical so thats why i don't want to lose mt OEM guage insense. i'm going to keep looking for a tapped oil pan but i thought about doing this... drilling thru the oil pan bolt and putting the sensor here.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
u could do that but changing oil would be a PITA.

i would just pull the pan, weld the bung in, use that for the temp.

as for your oil pressure gauge, and stock pressure gauge, just run a BSPT fitting from the stock location to a T on the firewall, and hook up the gauges there. this is what i do. both stock and aftermarket pressure gauge, and my oil feed for the turbo.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
I have a fitting from steathmode to tap into the stock oil pressure location. It lets you install the stock sensor, aftermarket sensor, and oil feed all in one place if you want, or you can plug the extra port if you don't have a turbo. As for the temp sensor, I drilled and tapped a hole in my pan above the drain plug and the gauge came with an npt fitting that screws into the hole, then the sensor screws into the fitting. (put some kind of sealant on the threads or it will leak) Easy.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Like Danz said.

Also for oil temp you can use a skin fitting or bulkhead fitting or whatever you call them in your part of the world.

They are basically a tube with threaded inside and out. You insert it through a hole in the skin, bulkhead or sump, add a nut to the external thread on either side of the sump and tighten to hold it firmly through the sump. You will need a gasket and washers etc to get it leak proof. Then screw your sensor into the internal thread.

Bulkhead Fittings,Bulkhead Pipe Fittings,PVC Bulkhead Fittings,Brass Bulkhead Fittings,Bulkhead Fittings Suppliers

This is a plumbing fitting, but you should get the drift. Your hydraulics fittings supply house or aircraft fittings or the likes of Earls or Russel will have something wit the correct size and threads.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dude that fucking awesome..

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Bone

That looks exactly like a skin fitting to me.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i guess i have to order that this week..

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i would just pull the pan, weld the bung in, use that for the temp.

as for your oil pressure gauge, and stock pressure gauge, just run a BSPT fitting from the stock location to a T on the firewall, and hook up the gauges there. this is what i do. both stock and aftermarket pressure gauge, and my oil feed for the turbo.
agreed on both parts.

make sure you leave slack if you mount it to the firewall. dont want to pull out... ;) :lol:

i would place the temp sensor about 1" over from the drain. just make sure it clears everything. mounting it from the front is also possible, but not where i place mine since i like boost ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts