Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
honda civic sedan lx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im new here im pretty sure a lot of people ask this here but i need help building my d16y8. i want to make it a reliable boosted daily i need help picking the right parts. i want to be at 300-400hp money is not an issue i just want to do it right the first time i also dont want a laggy turbo. and do i need a aftermarket turbo cam orcan i use an all motor aftermarket cam? Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
honda civic sedan lx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive done alot of searching but none of the build threads tell me anything about the type of cam to use they just say to get a crower because they have the best aftermarket cam get arp bolts and studs, bigger injectors, a tune, and port the oil pump if not ill be very disapointed but i want to know what pistons to get and what valvetrain what rods are best and what turbo will help me make that kind of reliable power and not lag or be maxed out and what size injectors will i need

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
So you want 300-400whp and little lag. You should look into the ball bearing turbos or the Go-Autoworks Spec Bullseye .55 turbo. I've seen this turbo produce some impressive results.

You may as well just get ID1000's for your injectors. A search and you'll find injector horsepower calculators.

In terms of piston and rods, there's the custom length rods paired with Vitara pistons that would be cheap. However, a few people have been having issues with Vitaras recently. If money is not an issue, get Eagle rods and whatever Wiseco pistons that put your compression ratio in the 9-10:1 range.

The camshaft, search. I know there's a thread updated yesterday about what cam to use of 600+ whp and I know there are many threads about cams for any particular power goal.

I hate to be the one to tell you to search, but everything I told you could have been found very easily. However, I'm happy to help out a fellow member get on the right track.

·
Registered
honda civic sedan lx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks i will be looking that up i purchased a d16y8 head off a 97 last night my motor is a 99 shouldnt have any trouble with sensors or anything

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
If you have a 99-00 intake manifold and a 96-98 head than you need to plug all 5 air injection holes in the manifold with set screws or job weld. All 5 holes are on the head side of the manifold flange.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Ive done alot of searching but none of the build threads tell me anything about the type of cam to use they just say to get a crower because they have the best aftermarket cam get arp bolts and studs, bigger injectors, a tune, and port the oil pump if not ill be very disapointed but i want to know what pistons to get and what valvetrain what rods are best and what turbo will help me make that kind of reliable power and not lag or be maxed out and what size injectors will i need
Those 2 underlined bolded sections seem to contradict themselves don't they...

FWIW, searching (yes I know you've done it) will still yield you better results than this thread.

·
Registered
My car
65 Posts
You can always buy an airplane
Those 2 underlined bolded sections seem to contradict themselves don't they...

FWIW, searching (yes I know you've done it) will still yield you better results than this thread.
I lol'd.

The information is out there. You've even read it. You just didn't take it for what it was worth. There are dyno chart threads and drag times threads, both of which have users posting their setups in.

What is your budget? Do you have any parts you know you want?

·
Registered
honda civic sedan lx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like i said n the beginning i have no spending limit im not trying to boost my car asap this will most likely happen next year after tax season but I just wanted to know more or less what parts have worked for people and what parts to stay away from and if i need to get a specifically turbo cam or can i put a all motor stage 3 cam in my car now and can i used that same Cam for my boost set up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts