Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its often been -10 Fahrenheit for past 3-4 days. And i dont use my car over the weekend so it sat in the cold for 3 days without starting it. I went to start it this morning. It started right up but died after 1-2 seconds and wouldnt start back up. After work, and it warmed up to +10F. I tried again with the battery charger set to jump start and it didnt even try to fire. It cranked at regular speed for 1 second or 2 and then slowed down to probably half speed.

I have took the battery out and brought it inside and let it warm up and then im going to trickle charge it.

Is there anything else i could do to get it started up in super cold weather?

btw 90wagon with a 94 d16z6

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,029 Posts
how old is the battery ?
battery terminals clean tight.
block chassis ground straps good condition clean.
last tune up ?
ecu?stock tune?

block heater will help a butt ton if your near a power outlet.

I have a small solar panel on the dash seems to help keep the battery up...prolly in my head

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is unknown. Had to buy a cheap junkyard battery when i had no money. Terminals are clean and tight. The grounds are also good. And i just put the engine in recently. Rebuilt. Newer plugs, NGK wires, new dizzy, etc. Ecu is a stock p28.

Ill look into a block heater. I found a battery warmer that wraps around the battery and keeps it warm over night. Is that something I should buy?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update, pulled of the fuel line coming from the tank and nothing coming out. Think the pumps frozen. Its sitting in a heated garage right now to thaw out and put a bunch of HEET in it so stop it from freezing in the future

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved. Blown fuse. Looks like the fuel pump froze and blew the fuse when trying to start it is my guess

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Damn, -10F?! Where do you live?

Also, what oil weight do you use? I imagine your engine isn’t too happy starting in those temps without a block heater!

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,029 Posts
Problem solved. Blown fuse. Looks like the fuel pump froze and blew the fuse when trying to start it is my guess
cool.

I would choose block heater over the battery warmer but should be fine without now that the ice has thawed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, -10F?! Where do you live?

Also, what oil weight do you use? I imagine your engine isn’t too happy starting in those temps without a block heater!
i use 5w30. And i live in NW indiana about 50 mins away from Michigan lake. But the weekend was colder then usual. Today was 35~ degrees

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Id guess it was the lines that froze though, glad its fixed

·
Registered
toy truck, sidekick,
7 Posts
I'd keep your gas tank pretty full in extreme cold so you get less condensation (water) from air in tank. Just ran into this with an Element that mostly sits-super wet here.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
377 Posts
It's cause your using that new gas to water fuel conversion kit aren't you?!?! lol I'm trying to imagine a fuel pump due to cold temps contracting to the point where it wouldn't turn enough to blow a fuse haha. You definitely must of had water in there somehow.

You also know HEET isn't like, "heat" heat right? Haha, totally kidding man, you opened the floor for jokes on that one! Sorry!

Glad to hear you got the car running. Stay warm!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts