Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor is a stock d16z6 in eg civic

Turbo is Garrett 18g

Right now the turbosmart IWG is set to 10psi which I think is too much for my stock motor. *I'm going to order a new spring for it but I don't know what rate to order it at.

So how do I estimate how much HP the turbo will produce per psi

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I know of at least 4 different 18G garrett turbos.

find out which one you actually have

also, boost pressure does not equal power. you might make 160whp at 10 on a certain turbo and 180whp at 25psi on the same turbo.

you should focus more on knowing the exact parts you have. That will aid you in looking up said parts to get a much better idea of information

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greddy lists a TD05SH-18G and a TD05H-18G. Im trying now to find the difference.

I'm having trouble finding compressor maps for either of them

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I found this compressor map for an 18G

So if Im reading this right the turbo should make 413HP @ 14.7PSI?

So if Im looking for 200hp the turbo should make that at 285 CFM?

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
So if Im reading this right the turbo should make 413HP @ 14.7PSI?
lololololol

Read this. It should get you in the ball park on what you need to know. Oh and turbos don't make horsepower, they pump air. There are so many factors that go into the final number that is horsepower.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
that 18G is basically useless for your goal. it will do 200hp yes, but it wants a bigger motor

nothing nothing nothing vtec, nothing nothing BOOOST

at least it will keep the motor alive by not boosting below 3k rpms

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im perfectly fine with it not making crazy power at first. I'm learning to tune with this setup so I am fine with it being conservative. I'm building a motor over the winter so I can use what I learn to do that one right

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,382 Posts
example ::

psi means nothing.

15psi from a t28 is not the same 15psi from a 6262

1) teach yourself how to read a compressor map
2) remember how to do math
3) do the maths and plot points on compressor maps
4) see what compressor map gives you the answers you need

http://turbocharged.com/catalog/compmaps/fig1.html

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so clearly I may not have made the best choice on turbo size. What are some good articles to read up on to actually learn what I need to know about turbos?

I know it's a little late since I have already purchased the turbo so help me learn

·
4,382 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont want spoon fed I just want pointed in the right direction. Which yes you did in the previous post. I just keep getting conflicting information and it makes learning a bit difficult.

Everyone on here is saying that the turbo will be to big for a D-series yet it's a D-series kit so I don't get that. I have the dyno chart from the motor this turbo was on and it appears that it spools around 4200-4500 RPM.

I apologize for asking dumb questions but I respect all of you're opinions when it comes to weeding through all of the shit on the internet

·
4,382 Posts
it finally spools at 4500 or it starts to spool? you can always sell the stuff you have, or trade it for something that would work for you.

get out your pen, paper, and calculator. see you in a few days

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
400 Posts
I'm new to this stuff as well and find it just as complicated. Even the top car manufacturers end up doing some of the development empirically.

My engineering background says that:-

a) for a given gas density, the turbo will spool and spin according to the feed gas pressure, flow rate and velocity ... less the effect of the resistance of the system, including the output stages.

b) for a given intake air density, the turbo will deliver air pressure, flow rate and velocity (less the effect etc) varying with the spin speed ... if the intake system can provide enough air in the first place

c) for a given turbo output, possibly measured in volume per time, the engine will theoretically deliver a set power output provided that it has sufficient fuel at the right time and is not hampered by mechanical components that aren't up to the stresses

In other words, your question cannot be answered without knowing all the variables!

In your situation, I would have been tempted to start the thread with the question "Has anyone fitted a Garrett 18g to a D16Z6?"

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Didnt read all the comments but i know what they are saying.

But what i have to say is this.
Buy a small spring and a boost controller.
Hit the dyno and up the boost until you get your power goal.

Therr is not psi to hp chart.
Different tuners will run different AFR. That alone will change power output.
Not to mention timing, IC size and routing, exhaust, heat soak and condition of the motor and turbo.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
In your situation, I would have been tempted to start the thread with the question "Has anyone fitted a Garrett 18g to a D16Z6?"
A wiser choice would have been to search google for that query and read the years of experiences already posted across the web instead of waiting for someone else to show you the answer.

But as is proven time and time again, that kind of initiative and critical thinking (lol) isn't something people nowadays seem to be capable of.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Get yourself an IHI turbo from a turbo mustang. You'll hit 200hp, no doubt.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts