Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so my builder just called me and he was in the process of installing the stage 1 skunk2 camshaft, and he said that the vtec cam lobes DO NOT have clearance in the head. so WTF.........anybody ever heard of this? i want to call skunk 2, but they are closed, so i need some help from you guys. I looked at the spec sheet and the cam is is for my motor, so im good there. He said it would take just a LITTLE grinding for the lobe to clear.

somone please help me

thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
have never heard of that problem before, as far as i know the skunk2 stage 1 cams fit all d series engine. if you do find out any problem from skunk2 or your builder keep us updated as im ordering 1 soon so dont want to if its a problem.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe it's the wrong cam
the spec sheet sent with it said it was for the z6........so it SHOULD be the right cam.......keyword, "should". thats what im trying to figure out.

thanks

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The casting of the head has spots for the cam to set in, but not touch......well, the cam touches, so it needs to be shaved in order for it to spin freely.

i now thats a bad explanation, but its hard for me to explain.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i have seen some aggressive cams require some minor grinding, but a stage 1 should not require it. I run a stage 2 crower and it doesn't. The stage 3 crower comes close, but iirc it typically doesn't require grinding.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the skunk2 stage 1 has about as much lift as a crower stg 3 i believe, but the duration is tiny........its pretty much a turbo cam.

check it out on skunk2.com

tell me what you think.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have seen before where guys have had to grind the head a bit to fit the junk2 cam in!

·
Registered
259 Posts
i was hoping it was a misprint but apparently not..the stage 1 skunk2 does appear to have very similar lift to the crower stage 3.
In that case, I remember a couple threads back a user was having the same issue I believe as you are but he was dealing with a crower stage 3. I believe it was the lobes rubbing against a certain part of the cylinder head assembly...but dont grind the lobes- no that would be suicidal
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57704&highlight=crower+stage+3

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was hoping it was a misprint but apparently not..the stage 1 skunk2 does appear to have very similar lift to the crower stage 3.
In that case, I remember a couple threads back a user was having the same issue I believe as you are but he was dealing with a crower stage 3. I believe it was the lobes rubbing against a certain part of the cylinder head assembly...but dont grind the lobes- no that would be suicidal
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57704&highlight=crower+stage+3
thanks for the link.......+rep for you, and by the way, i know not to grind the cam. that IS suicidal.

but thanks again for the info...:TU:

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i called skunk2 today........they said that theyve never had that problem before....now im kinda worried.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i had the same issue with mine on my mini. it hits a tiny spot where the spark plug chamber is and rubbs the whole way up. i just filled a little bit down untill i could fit a feeler gauges through.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
A friend of mine put a Crower 3 in his Z6 the other night and described the clearance as "just barely". Haha.

·
Registered
681 Posts
ok got mine in and started before i went to sleep this morning took a file and some Vaseline and removed a lil material all is good now

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
i called skunk2 today........they said that theyve never had that problem before....now im kinda worried.
of fucking course they would say that. dont be worried. they MAKE and SELL these products so they think theyre perfect.

can you compare the old cam to the new one?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts