Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok heres the deal, im getting about 900 back for my income tax. im about 2 seconds away from buying a turbo kit and throwing it on my d15b7 but then it occured to me that im not goin to be able to do much on the d15b7.

so i got calling around junk yards and found a d16z6 with 42,000 miles for 825

now i dont know what to do. should i get the turbo kit or the d16z6?

im preaty sure i know what youll all say i guess i just want to hear some experienced peoples opinions.

i know im better off in the long run getting the z6 and building it but if i spend all my money on the engine then i wont have any left to build it for boost but then if i buy the turbo ill only be able to boost my d15b7 alittle which wont really help me out.

i didnt mean to double post

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
that sounds like alot of money for a d15b7... my old room mate bought one for a $100...

i dont know were you live so maybe thats a good price for your area???

maybe someone else can chime in here for ya...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no, i have a d15b7 im looking to buy a d16z6 i live in ohio and no junk yards have them around here

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
oh shit.. sorry dude, i just woke up and i thougt it said you were buying a motor.... i missed the TURBO part... lol

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
i really shoulndt post when i first wake up... :)

·
Registered
see above
4,259 Posts
my d15b vtec was like 580 shipped, if your just gonnna buy a kit and run it on the stock motor, save your money on the z6 and get the jdm equiv. for cheaper. and you know the motor has a warranty and has low miles. jus a thought.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but is the d15b vtec the same as the d16z6? do they make forged internals for the d15b?

·
Registered
see above
4,259 Posts
tuner toy rods for the z6 fit as well as the vitara pistons. there are other pistons for the d15b. its just that why would a american based company make rods and pistons for a motor that isnt sold here, but they are the same motor. lil less displacement and the cam is said to be different. but it may be just the compression that makes up the power for lack of displacement.

·
Registered
91 hatch
1,249 Posts
that is a tough decision. last year i was having the same problem. then my car helped me out. i blew my heads out. so i bought my sohc zc which has 5hp more than the z6. i have been peicing together a turbo kit, and when i get my income tax this year ill get a good turbo since i spent all year putting together a solid kit , and learning how it all works. this might be the way to go. just my experience.

p.s. the thrill of the new engine is enough to get you off for a while

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
buy some crack :TU:

contact Hmotors and get a D15B if you are buying a motor. buying someones d16z6 with probably 150k on the clock thats been beat to shit isnt the best idea. especially at that price...

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
or as other people have said... call up hmotors... and ask if they have any SOHC ZC's - that's the equivalent of the US spec. d16z6.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
With that much money you could buy/build a Z6 with vitaras/tuner toys rods...and then just save up and turbo that motor later...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
everyone says z6 a cheap as hell, but the cheapest i can find them is 800 around here

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
wait you guys got me confused now. one of you said the d15b is the same as the z6 then another said the sohc zc is the same as the z6.

i will order from hmotors as soon as i figure out which one i can put the z6 performance parts in. is it the d15b or the sohc zc??

heres the links

d15b vtec

sohc zc

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well iv been thinking about it and im prolly gonna go ahead and buy the d16z6, one because i know theres forged internals for it, two because i wont have to order parts from 8 different hondas to do a tune up and three because even though the engine is 800 it only has 42,000 miles and will be rebuilt anyway.

going the jdm engine route seems like to much of a hassel than its worth for saving a couple hundred dollars.

thanks for everyones input though it did help me deciede(sp), sorry, woke up not long ago.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
dood, don't buy that z6.... if you are gonna build it w/ forged internals anyways, why not buy a bare block/crank for >$150, buy a tranny and head, and the internals of your choice... who cares if its fully assembled and has low miles if its gonna be re-built?

·
Registered
see above
4,259 Posts
sohc zc and z6 and d15b have the same head?. so cams for the z6 work in both other motors?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts