Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im new to this forum and need some advice i have a 99 civic cvt and want to turbo it i have done a bit research into this have seen a kit on ebay which i am going to buy but going to change turbo and manifold as they are normally poor as ive been told is there any thing i will need i know i will need engine management but dont really know any thing about this as a bit of a noob so which ecu will be best to run turbo as really need to keep the cvt is this even possible so really need some advice if any body has done this before a would love your input into this
thanx andy

·
B-series Destroyer
912 Posts
Boost+CVT=WIN

If you bracket raced that people would hate you.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Dont forget the the d16y5 is a lean burning motor. It has vtec-e
Runs on 1 vavle till about 3k rpm.
Also has a build in wideband ecu.
With all that said your build will be a lil different then a non vtec y7 or a normal vtec y8.
Irs been done before, its just different tho.

So look into your motot first.
Then pick an hp goal you want to meet.
Then pick a budget.
al thing about emission testing if you have it where u live.
Snd ebay turbos are ok, just normally they cant run as high of boost as a real one, but dont knock them till you tried them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx guys but a really want to do this dont want stupid power gains just wanna make it a bit faster on stock internals for now so do you know what ecu i will need and will i need a conversion harness as ive been reading that my car is obd2 and when you remap your car must be obd1 if so do you know where i can get one for the cvt or a seen a things on a piggy back ecu which is better really wanna get the info before i start to build. if some one could make a list of things i would need to make it run i would be extremly grateful or point me in the right direction thanx

·
B-series Destroyer
912 Posts
Boost + Honda CVT = expensive tranny bits not working.

Don't.
C'mon beave, breaking shit is half the fun when boosting. Besides, that cvt will probably pull pretty good till it breaks.

·
B-series Destroyer
912 Posts
thanx guys but a really want to do this dont want stupid power gains just wanna make it a bit faster on stock internals for now so do you know what ecu i will need and will i need a conversion harness as ive been reading that my car is obd2 and when you remap your car must be obd1 if so do you know where i can get one for the cvt or a seen a things on a piggy back ecu which is better really wanna get the info before i start to build. if some one could make a list of things i would need to make it run i would be extremly grateful or point me in the right direction thanx
I think it will cost you alot of money to get the cvt to play right with a boosted setup. I'm pretty sure the ecu controls the way the cvt shifts.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Must. find. period. button.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive seen few cvts been boosted on google so i know its possible just really need help with what ecu to run as ave got a friend thats a good machanic and can help with the rest and i know someone that can write me a map up for it just need to know what i need to run it one of you honda gods must know

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Click link in my sigb. Aem fic up in running.

Im boosted on obd2.
You can swap to obd1 but its more work for your motor/ecu then a normal dx or ex civic.
Also seeing as the blocks are around the same id say its good for 200hp.
If you wanting just a bump in power from turbo you should get a small one like a t25 nissan or dsm, 14b, 16g, not a t3.
And check the build threads in showcase for some ideas on what to do.
Make sure the motor is runn great before turbo. And finish answering the questions i posted up there.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
I'm not positive but I also think the cvt is controlled by the ecu in which case you would want to go the route that xile6 took. Good luck with your project I to am boosting my hx d16y5 and I'm hoping for 180hp

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
You can't tune the CVT transmission ECU. How are you going to tune the engine and control the CVT?

Piggy backs are highly annoying but I could only recommend the AEM FIC for this.

The CVT in that car is weak. It has an exceptionally high failure rate, even with stock engines that were detuned from the factory.

Don't put a darn turbo on a CVT equipped car unless you want to break it.

^--- my opinion. Please feel free to ignore it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
for low boost..e-manage blue work fine on these obd2 ecu..you just need to know what you are doing in the close loop region. short term/long term fuel trim will get you if you done too much changes to the stock fuel system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanx very much for all your input i am going to turbo but going to have the cvt rebuilt so its like new so it last a while think i will deffo go the way of xile6 as it looks best option to boost. so how hard is it to actully wire up the aem fic up and were can i get a wiring diagram and thanx xile6 for the help it is much apriciated

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
thanx very much for all your input i am going to turbo but going to have the cvt rebuilt so its like new so it last a while think i will deffo go the way of xile6 as it looks best option to boost. so how hard is it to actully wire up the aem fic up and were can i get a wiring diagram and thanx xile6 for the help it is much apriciated
Very easy for me since i know wiring but its not to hard.
They do sell pnp harness but there like $200 and might not fit yours.
I can get a pin out of the wiring for you if you want.
But the main wires to you need are
Injectors 1-4 (in/out)
TPS (tap)
Map (in/out)
Crank senor wires (3wires)
Cam senor wires (3 wires)
A few grounds. (tap)
2 power wires. (tap)
O2 (tap)(i didnt use this one but you might have to)
So you just pin them out to your ecu and sodler them up and all is good.

Now on the transmission idk i never work on the cvt. I stick to 5 speed manaul. So with that said keep it low boost and see what happens or swap it out for a 5speed. Still all depends on emission testing to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that would be excellent as never done this before but have always been good with wiring and electrical systems so if a had a diagram to work off to learn this stuff that would be great u man are a true master

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
need to keep the cvt due to medical reasons so 5 speeds out of the question till doc's say its ok to drive one so really want to boost cvt till im ready to drive 5 speed so been looking at e-manage blue a few people now told me its perfect for low boost on an auto so think am deffo going that way for now thanx everyone for you input so if anyone else has input into this it would be great well now just waiting to sort out rest of money then al start proper build thred on it

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
need to keep the cvt due to medical reasons so 5 speeds out of the question till doc's say its ok to drive one so really want to boost cvt till im ready to drive 5 speed so been looking at e-manage blue a few people now told me its perfect for low boost on an auto so think am deffo going that way for now thanx everyone for you input so if anyone else has input into this it would be great well now just waiting to sort out rest of money then al start proper build thred on it
pass on the emanage. if your going to get a piggyback id go for the aem fic 6.
You can retard timing alone with some other things the e-management cant do.
But also another thing is who will be tuning it? If someone else will be tuning it then you gotta use what they can work with.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts