Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: So I bought a 93 Del Sol SI shell from a guy. He also had a motor from a 98 Civic EX which he said had been in the Del Sol. He had taken it out to do a B series swap but ran out of money/interest. I'm beginning to highly doubt if this engine was actually ever in the del sol as my buddy and I are running into some issues. We are about 90% done with the install and are working on the wiring harness and a few other issues. I'll have a lot of follow up questions on other topics but figure I had to start somwhere.

Issue 1. Not sure about the distributor. It has been modified for some reason as the wires on the single plug have been cut/spliced and put back together with electrical tape. Not sure why. The wiring harness he gave me seems to have the plugs for the two plug distributor where this is a one plug distributor. But this also appears to be the same connection for the radiator fan. If I plug in the radiator fan I do not appear to have a second connection for the distributor. Is the singe connection distributor the right one for this engine? Do I then have the wrong wiring harness. It is does have the vtec connection.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so I guess I suck at asking questions, I get it. I'm kind of all over the place. How about this: For a d16y8 into a 93 del sol should I be using a distributor with one or two plug connections to the wiring harness? Or does it matter? Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so it seems he wired to distributor like this to change for obd1 to obd2 compatability from what I can find. How can I tell if I have an obd1 or obd2 harness and if this distributor will work? Again, not 100% sure in the parts he gave me. I know I'm 100% newb here, please bare with me.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
If the distributor has a single 10 wire plug it's obd2. If the engine harness has 2 distributor plugs,an 8 wire plug with 7 wires and a 2 wire plug it's obd1. 92-95 civic,del sol and integra are obd1. 96-01 civic and integra are obd2.

How to tell quickly what engine harness you have look at the injector,alternator and distributor plugs. Obd1 will have 2 distributor plugs,a round alternator plug and gray injector plugs. Obd2 will have one distributor plug, black injector plugs and a square alternator plug.

My guess is you have an obd1 engine harness. If you can post pics and I can help better.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for replying. I'm pretty sure you are correct. I'll verify and post pics tonight when I get home. If so, does this mean the distributor won't work on this harness?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Thank you so much for replying. I'm pretty sure you are correct. I'll verify and post pics tonight when I get home. If so, does this mean the distributor won't work on this harness?
It will work but you will need an adapter to make it work.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 1 to two pin adapter, correct? I've seen those.

I'll sort this first issue out tonight thanks to your help and I'll have more questions tomorrow related to possible issues with the intake manifold and throttle body that were included. The car was originally an automatic and we have/are converting it to stick shift. Does it really matter if the im and tb are from an automatic?

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
The car was originally an automatic and we have/are converting it to stick shift. Does it really matter if the im and tb are from an automatic?
IM from an auto y8 uses a 3 wire IACV, obd1 Honda ecus need 2 wire IACV.
Y8 manual IM would be MUCH easier, or a z6 IM

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
IM from an auto y8 uses a 3 wire IACV, obd1 Honda ecus need 2 wire IACV.
Y8 manual IM would be MUCH easier, or a z6 IM
This ^^^^. And remember you need to splice some wires by the old auto shifter to make it run.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which wires are you referring to? I haven't gotten to that point yet. Are you talking about the clutch lock out so it won't start or the reverse lights. Thats all I've seen about wiring needs.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Which wires are you referring to? I haven't gotten to that point yet. Are you talking about the clutch lock out so it won't start or the reverse lights. Thats all I've seen about wiring needs.
Both of those. I think there's also one for the started but not sure. It could be one of the ones mentioned

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So are Manual intake manifolds all two wire or do I just need to find a manual obd1 intake manifold. I really appreciate the assistance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
D16Y7 manual has a 3-wire IACV. But that's a shitty manifold anyway.
So you can just grab a Y8 oder Y5 (block off the EGR) M/T manifold, those have a 2-wire IACV. Only their A/T versions have a 3-wire one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts