Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, before anybody says it, i wanna keep it automatic. That said, I wanna boost my 98 Civic EX auto. the engine is a 95 D15B, D16Y8 intake/exhaust manifold, 98 Y8 ecu and tranny and yeah I'm running OBD2 and its actually running great! (at the bottom are pictures) I had a few problems with the car but it was due to a bad distributor in its death rolls and bad ignition timing (i recently broke the VTEC Valve Pressure sensor :-S) anyway the car is running fine now and i wanna boost. My goal is 6 - 8 PSI on stock internals and about 160 - 180 whp (i'm always gettin put down for the atx honda). I think this is doable and i wanna do it right and cheap (doesnt everyone?).. One of my buddies hooked me up with a CX exhaust manifold that we're modifying for a turbo.. I'm droppin by a UPICK this weekend and i had a few questions..

1) the volve, saab, mitsbu turbos, any good?

2) when i look at a turbo i pull out of an engine, what should i look for (other than shaft play)?

3) regarding my automatic, is there anything i need to be aware of before i start this project?

Like i said before, this is a budget build so i'm cutting costs wherever i can but i dont want to hurt my engine and i know there are $4000 + kits out there just like there a $650 ebay kits (i know some are bad, specially the manifolds).. I'm gonna cut costs as much as possible so i was thinkin of gettin a Saab, volvo, mitsu turbo but i will let the cash flow a bit on the BOV and turbo lubrication system (fancy term for oil lines lol)

4) As far as Wastegates, what do you all recommend? Internal or external and what brands?

5) Since I'm gonna be boosting so low, do you all think I should still invest in a hondata or uberdata?

6) Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any installation tips? Anybody wanting to help with labor/manpower/expertise?

For intercooler piping and such i was thinkin of hittin ebay since they have FMIC w/ piping and everything for about $100 - $150..

Like i said before, any advice and any help would be greatly appreciated. I know this has probably been asked many times before but i figured putting my post up here will help me get more involved with the Forum... thanks again.

i spray painted eyelids on the car. Looks wicked as hell and i did it this morning but i dont have a camera =(

The engine pics are of the old D16Z6 i had in there before it blew.. but you get the idea it still has the same mods but i added the CAI extension to the Short Ram.. but that's besides the point.

Any ideas/suggestions/comments/help?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
449 Posts
Seeing as im supercharged I cant help with the turbo stuff. But I am also and automatic and im happily boosted at about 6 psi (rarely see it thoe) for 2-3 years.

First off get rid of those heavy ass wheels, some nice lightweight cheap rotas 15s and some decent tires.

You should be fine on stock components with that amount of boost, however regardless of amount, tunning is still very important. Dont forget about Crome as well.

You have and idea, now keep researching and learn. Write down a plan and then buy everything. Thats my recommendation. Others will chime in, just be patient.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input.. the rims are part of the car's look that's why i have it that way. white on white. hehe. but anyway, what's Crome?

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Crome is a rom editing program used for tuning. Many peope here use it including myself because it's cheap and easy.

Too bad you cant use crome with the automatic 96+ civics. That is unless you swap to an obd1 tranny

·
Registered
826 Posts
The word on the automatic is that if you want it to last any length of time you need to put a big-assed tranny cooler on.
agreed. and the auto tranny is gona make you have a limit on how much power your car can have. your tranny is gona die from high hp before your motor

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesnt really matter since i dont expect high horsepower out of the engine anyway. i'm not trying to shatter world land speed records here hehe. Honestly, its just fun for myself i'll be more than happy with a 180 whp engine hehe

agreed. and the auto tranny is gona make you have a limit on how much power your car can have. your tranny is gona die from high hp before your motor
From what i have understood, the thing that really hurts auto trannies is heat. I've heard that they actually handle power alot better than manual transmissions and in certain points (say my friend's 600 whp neon) cars have to swap over to automatics.. but that's a different story altogether.

But again thanks for the tips and advice thus far, i'll keep them all in mind when making decisions pertaining to my car.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
20k miles on my old auto boosted setup and the trans lasted longer than my motor. i sold the trans when i did my 5 speed swap 1 year ago and the guy is still using it. it has about 120k miles when my motor blew.

you can boost the auto, dont expect to hit 180whp. dont beat the shit out of the car and the auto should last. it does make for a semi-fun car, but dont expect it to be uber fast. realize that a car with the exact same setup as you but they have a 5 speed, you will be slower. it sucks but thats how it is.

the only options for engine management for obd2 autos are an fmu, or the afc hack or some form of the greddy e-manage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i spoke to a buddy of mine whose been in the racing scene (done shit from laguna seca to the moroso drag strip) for a while and he told me that i should definitely get a tranny cooler and that most professional, track only drag cars are either running pro stock trannies with straight cut gears or automatic. He said the automatic can handle power. He also told me that IF i get a turbo from a volvo or saab or any factory turbo, that the majority come with an internal wastegate and for the amount of boost i'm going to be doing, that it should be more than enough. i DO plan to rebuild the turbo if i do pull it out of another car.
He also told me that the Saab 9000 intercoolers are really effective and is one of the best bang for the buck i can get... just wanted to share this with ya'll..

the only options for engine management for obd2 autos are an fmu, or the afc hack or some form of the greddy e-manage.
I have an apexi VAFC but i dont really understand what the AFC hack is really all about..

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't have any direct experience "yet" but I doubt you can run 180whp and have it last for long. I made a turbo setup and bolted it on to a crappy D15 with a auto and ran it at 6psi on a small turbo. After a couple runs of messing around the tranny was hurting bad... That would have been nowhere near 180hp. Tranny cooler or not, I think the tranny would puke before long. I am gonna use a healthier tranny, BIG tranny cooler and leave the boost level at 6psi. I don't really want a race car, just something to get me around when I am feeling lazy and don't wanna drive a stick, but not something dog-slow like a stock automatic D Honda.
There are cases where it is better to run a auto. My buddy with a 240sx runs a Ford C4 trans on his Nissan engine. Reason being, is that the 5spd needs a very expensive clutch to hold up to over 30psi of boost, then the tranny can only handle about 400hp. Making a tranny adapter and beefing up the Ford tranny with a trans-brake ended up being alot cheaper. The problem with Honda auto's is that they are just plain weak from the beginning, and there isn't much you can do about it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
grayzee, do you think that maybe the tranny was about to kick the bucket anyway? there are instances like that.. but anyway i know 180 whp is a long shot but 160 whp is good enough for me.. anything else? fuel injectors? what's the AFC hack? i've read about it but i really dont understand what it is

·
Registered
370 Posts
grayzee, do you think that maybe the tranny was about to kick the bucket anyway?
It is entirely possible, it did have high mileage. However it was ok before the boost. Your gonna want to get some bigger injectors for sure. 440cc dsm ones are what most people run. I have 325cc mazda-turbo injectors that I picked up for basically nothing, but they won't be much good for anything more than the 6psi I plan to run. There are remote "hack" units that trick the ecu, but that isn't the greatest setup. Best bet is to get a obd1 ecu (92-95 civic) adapter wire harness, and get it re-programed.

·
Registered
834 Posts
May be a little too expensive for you, but an AEM EMS can plug n' play in the OBD2A cars, and can control auto trannies too. It mught take a bit of work to learn, and it really hasn't been done by very many people, but it's possible...

·
Registered
826 Posts
May be a little too expensive for you, but an AEM EMS can plug n' play in the OBD2A cars, and can control auto trannies too. It mught take a bit of work to learn, and it really hasn't been done by very many people, but it's possible...
oh hell yeah!! if i had the money i'd get the AEM EMS. it is a complete stand alone system that works on obd-2 ecu's. it controlls EVERYTHING but runs for about $1,100

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
you should learn to drive a 5 speed
dude thats an ignorant comment.. i work at a ford dealership where all i do is move car's around all day :alky: i know how to drive a 5 speed pretty well.. (God those mustangs are sweet!!!) but moving on to more well thought out comments..

grayzee, by dsm you mean diamond star motor, right? just wanna make sure i'm on the same page.. as a matter of fact, i just remembered a buddy of mine told me i should look into replacing the fuel rail completely.. Should i do it? I was in the Neon (non-srt4) world before i came into hondas and i heard about of few neons running mustang fuel rails and injectors.. could i do it? should i do it? is it worth my time?

As far as fuel injectors go, i have a good friend who's a german car mechanic (least thats what he works for) and i'm pretty sure if i ask real nice-like, he can score me some porsche or volkswagen injectors, would they be good enough?

Again thanks for all the comments, ideas and support. they are all considered and appreciated..

Reactions: rattmann316

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have an 14b turbo off a 1st gen eclipse if you wana pic it up i will give it to you cheap i also have some more parts you can use just pm me

·
Registered
629 Posts
why are you against swapping it to a manual? you are going to lose a lot of power with the auto, not to mention the fact that honda autos just plain suck.

i'm not completely against autos, shit...my camaro has a stalled auto haha, but with a turbo honda it isn't that great of an idea.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts