Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic Ex d16y8
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the edelbrock performer x on my d16y8 98 civic ex and the godspeed 68mm throttle body. Now, the stock throttle body has a water jacket that the iacv hooks to, the godspeed does not. So my only thought was to cap off the tubing going from the iacv to the throttle body. Hooked everything up, when i start it, it idles at about 4000 rpms and has no throttle response whatsoever. even at fulll open throttle it stays at 4k. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dont tell me to go read about it. Ive been reading about it the past 3 days that ive had my car apart.

·
wheres my money man!!
11,333 Posts
youll just bypass what used to be on the stock tb. so run a hose from the iacv to the intake. blocking off the iacv not a good idea

you were prob better off with all the stock intake and tb.68mm is big unless you have other shit done to your car requiring that big of a tb

·
Registered
98 Civic Ex d16y8
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response guys. Sorry i didnt further explain. Im going forced induction. I have 75.5mm wiseco pistons, eagle rods, and darton sleeves. I actually unhooked the throttle cable, thinking that would be the problem. Still no go. Where would i re-route the iacv to? the one inlet goes to the large coolant line right below the fuel line and the other is what went to the stock throttle body.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
your idle air screw is either wide open and / or your butterfly is stuck open and / or you have a vacuum leak.

unhooked cable = no throttle response, as you have realized already.

·
Registered
98 Civic Ex d16y8
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The godspeed tb doesnt have an outlet. Thats why i had the idea to block it off. It has nowhere to go. The tb has an 1 inlet that came blocked off by a allen screw. But if i hook a coolant line from the iacv to that, itll just spray coolant through my tb into my intake. I have the right intake, im thinkin that the tb could be a pos. I looked online and edelbrock makes a tb that has the water jacket in the tb. I just figured this one didnt need to be cooled. I could upload a pic of the tb if that would help at all. fn mind boggling. Also, my check engin

·
Registered
98 Civic Ex d16y8
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i didnt unhook the throttle cable expecing the "gas pedal" to work. I unhooked it so all tention was releaved and hand turned the throttle body and heard no rpm difference. Just same rev. It actually sustains the high rpm. No jumping. Ive checked every vacuum hose. Even got tired of looking it up and made the vacuum diagram my computers background haha. Maybe install the stock tb and run the iacv lines the correct way and see what happens?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
coolant line isn't essential unless you live in an especially cold place where the IACV can get jammed because of the cold.

why is it that most people I see fail to mention a CEL being thrown and if they do, fail to extract the code if they have one? figure out what the CEL is for.

·
Registered
98 Civic Ex d16y8
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I failed to mention it because i dont have a code scanner, and i cant exactly drive the car to an autozone when its idleing at 5000 rpms. How come people fail to think of the obvious. The cel was on before for some converter that i dont care about fixing because it doesnt affect the reliability of the car. And like i said before, im not driving my car around at a 5 k idle 15 miles to the nearest autozone to check the cel code.

·
Registered
98 Civic Ex d16y8
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so run an additional line to one of the blocked holes in the intake? I gotcha I gotcha. I'll try that next. Thanks man. I wasnt sure if that would be ok. Whats up with the screw you all were talking about on the iacv? i see a flat head screw and a small allen screw. Both look like theyre in the same spot as stock.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I failed to mention it because i dont have a code scanner, and i cant exactly drive the car to an autozone when its idleing at 5000 rpms. How come people fail to think of the obvious. The cel was on before for some converter that i dont care about fixing because it doesnt affect the reliability of the car. And like i said before, im not driving my car around at a 5 k idle 15 miles to the nearest autozone to check the cel code.
you don't need a scanner to check your code. all that is required is a piece of wire.

·
wheres my money man!!
11,333 Posts
But what would be causing a misfire? could it possibly be the knock sensor that my buddy knocked off and tried to hide from me by black taping it back onto the block that i JUST found? hahaha
lol ya that cant be good

1 - 20 of 47 Posts