Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Im new to the forum but have a situation and need some help. I have a 2000 Civic Cx Hatchback with the d16y7.
Just recently got some head work done. ( New valves, Springs, valve retainers)
I put the whole engine back together had the timing set right and everything. I went to go turn the key and it doesnt turn over. It acts like it wants to but doesnt. Im gettin fuel and im getting spark. I think i narrowed it down to a ignition issue but ive checked the fuses and relays and there fine. I put a new distributor in it. I kno im prob missing something but if anybody has any ideas please let me kno. Thanks

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,471 Posts
and how much reading have you done on this?

how do you know ignition timing is correct? or mechanical?

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Did you check the valve clearance? To tight of a clearance can keep it from starting with having to much spring pressure.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call 9-1- oh wait there isnt a real problem.

And you cant have spark without it turning over.
And not turning over is a problem with the starter,battery or motor is lock up.

I worded it wrong. It turns over but it wont start.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,471 Posts
compression test

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Lets see, if nothing changed but the head, check grounds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just as a reminder this is an interference design engine. That means if your valve timing is off far enough your piston will make contact with an open valve. Double and even quadruple check to make sure your timing Marks are lined up per the guide lines set in a service manual. If it still won't fire your next best is a compression test. That will tell you how screwed you are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
you said new distributor, is it a hole NEW unit or did you rebuilt it? I would check the pin at the end of the distributor, the pin that connects to the cam, if that pin is installed 180* off the car sill never start. Did you connect the crank pos sensor?

Lastly make sure your timing marks are on the spot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts