Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i need some help asap. Skip to pix if you dont wanna read.

Last night i was driving me car and hard some rattling on the driver side. I was about 20mins from the house and said i would check it in when i get home and it did go away when i got on the freeway.

I get home and the ps belt is lose. It was around 1am so i didnt feel like tightening it up and said i would do it in the mooring. Let it set over night.

SO just now i get int he car and get ready to drive. turn car on and hear the noise and said ahhh i forgot to tighten up that belt.

Fix that and noise is still there and sounds like its getting louder.

Look under car and crank pulley is moving.

took crank off and the key way on the crank is messed up. Looks like the bolt back out and then the key got f'd up and the crank rounded off.

I need to know how to fix this ASAP its my only car and needed to go to the store today and will need to have the car for tommorrow.

I got another crank pulley key but.

PIX

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Ouch!!! Um I don't think that is fixable...maybey if the woodruff key still fits in there you can try to put the pulley in but idk how long that would last. I think mainly your going to be looking for a new crank

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch!!! Um I don't think that is fixable...maybey if the woodruff key still fits in there you can try to put the pulley in but idk how long that would last. I think mainly your going to be looking for a new crank

yea key is bad but i got another key and the pulley itself is fine.
Its just the crank thats bad. I am thinking of trying to weld it and grind it smooth but idk if that would hold or do more damge then good.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Cranks are very hard. You'd have trouble welding it and having it hold. The key 'may' hold for a little while, but you'd better find a new crankshaft, or a replacement engine.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cranks are very hard. You'd have trouble welding it and having it hold. The key 'may' hold for a little while, but you'd better find a new crankshaft, or a replacement engine.
Don't got the cash.
I was planing on replacing the motor income tax time since this one needs an over bore on cly 2 and 3 at less. Well comp is low in those 2.

Also I have a y7 crank, but it looks like one of the mains needs smoothing. Plus wouldn't have the money to get that work done and get a engine hoist to remove the motor.

So in other words you guys are saying I'm screw?

And of the pulley comes off while driving what will happen?
It shouldn't effect the motor right just the belts no alt or ps?

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Don't got the cash.
I was planing on replacing the motor income tax time since this one needs an over bore on cly 2 and 3 at less. Well comp is low in those 2.

Also I have a y7 crank, but it looks like one of the mains needs smoothing. Plus wouldn't have the money to get that work done and get a engine hoist to remove the motor.

So in other words you guys are saying I'm screw?

And of the pulley comes off while driving what will happen?
It shouldn't effect the motor right just the belts no alt or ps?
Well yeah your screwed unless you can rig some way to make it work temporary and I mean very temporary like welding it like you said.

If the pulley comes off while driving you are ok as long as the timing belt doesn't come off while driving. If that happens well your pistons are smacking valves

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well yeah your screwed unless you can rig some way to make it work temporary and I mean very temporary like welding it like you said.

If the pulley comes off while driving you are ok as long as the timing belt doesn't come off while driving. If that happens well your pistons are smacking valves

Yea just tried it up tq to around 130ft lb and hope for the best. Other then that I'm screw.
I take my girl to work and pick up my mother in law from work cause she throw a rod in her sarutrn

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yea just tried it up tq to around 130ft lb and hope for the best. Other then that I'm screw.
I take my girl to work and pick up my mother in law from work cause she throw a rod in her sarutrn
130? I think my B2 called for about 186 on the crank pulley bolt.

If it came down to it, you could tack weld the bolt to the pulley, but then good luck ever getting it off without destroying them both.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
130? I think my B2 called for about 186 on the crank pulley bolt.

If it came down to it, you could tack weld the bolt to the pulley, but then good luck ever getting it off without destroying them both.
Check for specs online and they said 125-130ft
Also a page on here said the same thing.

And I could tack it but like your said it would be hell.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well made it to the store and it sounds ok. I got stiff to bbq so in doing that now.

I hope the motor will last till I get money. My girl is talking about getting me a 8th gen civic if she gets her promotion around Christmas.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Well made it to the store and it sounds ok. I got stiff to bbq so in doing that now.

I hope the motor will last till I get money. My girl is talking about getting me a 8th gen civic if she gets her promotion around Christmas.
I would probably consider tack welding it but make sure everything I set and good then tack weld it and drive it until it blows then later you can get another block

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
How far into the crank is it damaged?

If it not that bad JB Weld the key into the crank and let it set 24hrs and it most likely will be fine.

What was the cause of the original damage?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i would just grind that messed up area smooth and cut a new woodruff slot exactly 180 degrees from the original one. That would be the best econo method without spending a dime on new or used parts. Probably would need some cobalt cutting bit but depends how GUNGHO or desperate you are. You don't even need to remove the crank to cut a new woodruff slot and I would guess 1 to 2 hours depending how detailed you want the new slot to be. :)

I did a fast pic with paint and I guess you see what I mean. :) good luck homie.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Look up my crankshaft thread. Essentially you drill a hole through the timing gear perpendicular to the crank snout. Drill a little bit into the crank snout and then tap the gear hole for a set screw.

I used a drill press to drill through the gear and then marked exactly where on the crankshaft I'd need to make the divot. You can also make two holes if you'd want more hold but one set screw plus the old woodruff key has held up for over 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The 180 cut may work but I don't got a single thing to cit something that nice into the crank.

And bolt back itself out and lossen up cause the crank pulley to move around.
Don't know how it back out tho.
maybe a dremel with a carbide cutting tip would work but it is gonna take some time as it cuts very little.
I used blue thread locker Loctite after installing the crank bolt.
the next econ way is to buy a crank from the scrapyard but that would need removal of the crank and tranny meaning more down time and not a quick solution. you decide homie.:kiss:

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
maybe a dremel with a carbide cutting tip would work but it is gonna take some time as it cuts very little.
I used blue thread locker Loctite after installing the crank bolt.
the next econ way is to buy a crank from the scrapyard but that would need removal of the crank and tranny meaning more down time and not a quick solution. you decide homie.:kiss:
yea i got a y7 crank that could work but dont got the down time or money to swap it in. I just hope it last me until i gt cash for the motor swap

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
yea i got a y7 crank that could work but dont got the down time or money to swap it in. I just hope it last me until i gt cash for the motor swap
no car really sucks man, shit I am here without a car for almost 6 months :(
can't wait to get behind the wheels of my civic and kick the shit out of it before it gets too cold and the tires break traction whenever boosts comes in.:ssst:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts