Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor is a z6 block y8 head...problem with the car is that the car is overheating quick. I checked the hoses and I noticed that the bottom radiator hose was cold, yet the car was getting hot....I was thinking maybe a stuck thermostat so I took out the t-stat to see if that would help but the car was still getting hot. I bleed the cooling system and checked all the little things....any help would b great

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
925 Posts
does the fan come on like its supposed to? I think the bottom hose is going to be cooler for the fact that heat rises and the hotter water comes from the head to the radiator then back to the block/cross over tube->water pump then repeat...when you did the swap did you get the timing belt back around the water pump pulley? Do you have the right head gasket(does it match the ports in the head?) Just some things to check

·
Registered
99 civic ex
111 Posts
Prob got some of the hoses mixed up! i had the same prob once coudnt even drive 2 blocks with out it going staight to overheating,

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Radiator is good, yes the waterpump is around the timing belt. I have a check engine for top dead center. if the timing was off, would it cause it to over heat? The car idles good so I'm not sure what it could be. I though about the hoses too....anyone have a diagram?

·
Registered
685 Posts
how did you bleed teh coolant? you jack the front up? open the cap? and turned the heat on max?

when you turn the heat on max make sure you choice the under the car setting button on the ac control panels.

and also double check the lines. and was there anything in the coolant when you were bleeding it?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
does the fan come on like its supposed to?are you sure the thermostat is good?? are you sure the water pump is good?is the rad clogged??if the timing is off it could cause it to over heat...are you sure you got all the air out??bad rad car...
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So here is the update....checked all the hoses and they were good...I checked the timing with the light and that's good...the fan isn't working due do a wiring problem, I just need to run new wires to the switch. So I started the car the top radiator hose is hot and a little hard. The bottom hose has no pressure and is really cool. I'm running no thermostat at the moment so I can get this car running cool. Everything is leading me to believe that the radiator is clogged. Any input?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
sound like the radiator is clogged...take it out and run water in it from a garden hose...

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I still think the car isn't getting warm enough....after I turn on the car, not even a minute later the gauge is reading normal temperature. I have no t-stat so I highly doubt that its heating up that fast...what also leads me to believe that the car isn't heating up is that the oil pressure at idle (1500rmps) is about 100 when it first starts and then going down to about 60...I touch the dip stick and the oil feels warm...about 100 degrees or so...not sure what's going on. I got all new sensors. Could the temperature sender for the gauge be bad?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Update: I still think the car isn't getting warm enough....after I turn on the car, not even a minute later the gauge is reading normal temperature. I have no t-stat so I highly doubt that its heating up that fast...what also leads me to believe that the car isn't heating up is that the oil pressure at idle (1500rmps) is about 100 when it first starts and then going down to about 60...I touch the dip stick and the oil feels warm...about 100 degrees or so...not sure what's going on. I got all new sensors. Could the temperature sender for the gauge be bad?
put the thermostat back in and see what happens....could be a bad gauge or you might have air in the system still....might have a blown your head gasket too....

·
Registered
1996 Civic
177 Posts
I would for sure put your t-stat back in... and have you checked anything besides your coolant level to make sure you head gasket isn't blown?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Coolant system isn't losing any coolant so I highly doubt its the head gasket
you dont need to be losing coolant to have a blown hg...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the repeat post, my phone re-submitted the page and posted...latest thing, I have the car still overheating after I put the thermostat in. The system is bleed to the best of my knowledge. Now I have a z6 block with the y8 head and the timing is advanced 4.5 degrees. Its a y8 head and can with a z6 adjustable cam gear. Could that cause my overheating issue?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts