Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is the situation. The timing had broken on my 93cx while on the freeway. Took the car to a mechanic and he had changed the timing belt. I was about 2 hours away from my house with no tools and had no choice so I paid for a mechanic to do my timing belt.

So I head back to the house and notice the engine making some pinging noise while driving. I put the cam to tdc and noticed the mechanic used the white notch which is between two notches on the crank pulley as the tdc mark. I know usually the hayes or helms say to use the white mark as the TDC mark, but this white mark I believe is the Before Top dead center marks for timing. After the three marks which looks like this III there are two more marks which look like this II. I took out the spark plug in cylinder one and placed a long socket extension into the cylinder. While the extension was resting against the piston I spun the crank shaft counterclockwise and the extension was still climbing up as the pointer past the white mark which was between two marks. The piston stoped around the area reaching TDC near the two marks. As I recall in the past usually the TDC mark on the crank pulley is by itself. There are a total of five marks on the pulley, III II <-----like that. I took the belt off and put the cam at TDC. I proceeded to try to align the bottom crank pulley with one of the two II marks. One tooth counterclockwise on the crank pulley from the white mark gave me a location after the two II notches on the crank pulley. That would be the closest I could get to the II marks no matter how much I tried, due to the fact that it was only one tooth over. I ran the engine one tooth over on the crankshaftgear from the white mark counterclockwise and the engine ran with no ping. I had a feeling that white mark was not TDC.

MY question is, are one of the II notches on d15b8 crank pulley TDC? I know I could tell for sure where TDC is by taking off the pulley and looking on the oil pump with the crank gear, but I do not have time to get the pulley off and check. Anyone have this prob with a cx d15b8? Also in the helms manual it says ignition timing is 12btc and all the other civic engines are 16 or b18btc I believe. Does that have anything to do with the notches on crank pulley because the cx motor is 12btc? The motor is stock by the way. I was also thinking maybe the belt was for a vx or si engine. Making it impossible to allign with one of the II notches. How much bigger smaller or bigger is the vx or si belt. Would I noticed if the belt was from a vx or si?

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
a vx or si belt would never make it over the b7 cam gear
103 teeth = vx belt
104 teeth = si belt
106 teeth = b7 belt
107 teeth = a6 belt

also...belt length has nothing to do with how well the timing marks line up
as long as the belt is an sohc belt all the teeth on the belt are spaced evenly and are the same...

your mechanic installed the belt incorrectly...

your on the right path to success...
if you have a timing light you will win this game

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a vx or si belt would never make it over the b7 cam gear
103 teeth = vx belt
104 teeth = si belt
106 teeth = b7 belt
107 teeth = a6 belt

also...belt length has nothing to do with how well the timing marks line up
as long as the belt is an sohc belt all the teeth on the belt are spaced evenly and are the same...

your mechanic installed the belt incorrectly...

your on the right path to success...
if you have a timing light you will win this game
thnxs man :TU: but when i time my timing the markings are facing the the firewall and when i advance it, it comes close to the markings to the timing cover... ive been at it 3 times already putting everything at TDC,even doing the screw driver thing on cylinder 1 and making sure the dist is hitting the number 1 piston, but the crank isnt showing me ish anyone help....

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
i dont have enough experience with the "special" crank pulley
but the answer to me is obvious
swap it out for another
if you are at absolute tdc with a screw driver the tdc timing mark on the pulley should be lining up with the timing mark on the timing cover
no IF's AND's or BUT's
you set the crank/piston to TDC before you put the cam belt on
being careful not put your valves at risk of interference with the piston.
if you do not have enough know-how to avoid valve/piston interference pay someone reputable to do your motor work
END OF STORY

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
sorry, I was tired last night, didn't mean to be a dick..........I'm a moody old fart at times/

but you have seemed to cover the bases.........one of those you'd have to be there to see it in person.

How did you set the cam for TDC?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
sorry, I was tired last night, didn't mean to be a dick..........I'm a moody old fart at times/

but you have seemed to cover the bases.........one of those you'd have to be there to see it in person.

How did you set the cam for TDC?
its ok...:TU: i counter clocked it to TDC with the marking lining up and checked the dist and it was hitting number one... ive read that i need to jump the timing??? im thinkin to of just trying another crank pully if anything??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts