Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my civic into a track only car. I need a daily that will be able to tow it to&from events. I was thinking about an older crv but dont think it can handle the job. My civic will be on a drive on trailer. Whats the smallest vehicle with 4doors i can get away with?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
It's all about the weight. From 1200-2000 lbs you are in Ford Escape, Subaru Forester, Volvo Wagon, ZDX/Accord Crosstour range. If you go over that weight a v6 - v8 needs to be considered and changes your options for a smallish vehicle significantly.

The Escape has both 4 and 6 cylinder options, the v6 gets you up in the 3500lb range.

My mom just went through this deciding on a car to pull a small pop trailer, you'd be surprised at how few options you have above the 2200lb range, I was.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
buy a cheap early 00's toyota sienna v6. took my family on plenty of trips with 25-30mpg an easy average.

hauled a big trailer filled with around 1500 pounds of chopped wood an hour a few times. so Id guess around 2200-2400 overall. My stepdad changed the tranny fluid a few times more frequently before and after using the big hauls.

fairly comfy to drive, I never saw my stepdad put any parts into it outside of spark plugs in the 160k miles he owned it. His was a 2003 with teh symphony audio package. Sounded great with rock and roll music lol

EDIT look for the common rust spot on the roof at the rack mounting points. if its clean, its never had anything strapped, or its already been repaired

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I struggled with this very debate when it came to tow vehicles. For price and what you get and even fuel efficiency -- it's literally no benefit for you go to with anything other than a full sized pickup.

The smaller vehicles have the same fuel efficiency, reliability, and costs as a bigger diesel pickup of the same era.

I wound up finding an F350 7.3L for $5500. Some guys are getting close to 20mpg with em.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
trucks are less likely to be well maintained. family-owner minivans tend to have great maintenance records since they are carrying their own kids in the vehicle

my observations from working at my shop

·
Registered
85 Dyno gt
259 Posts
I struggled with this very debate when it came to tow vehicles. For price and what you get and even fuel efficiency -- it's literally no benefit for you go to with anything other than a full sized pickup.

The smaller vehicles have the same fuel efficiency, reliability, and costs as a bigger diesel pickup of the same era.

I wound up finding an F350 7.3L for $5500. Some guys are getting close to 20mpg with em.
I get about that with my 4.2 f150

I would get a truck of some sort, In my days of driving stuff with trailers I would never use a "car" to haul a car.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I have towed a 2200-2500 lb tent trailer with my 94 4runner 22re, wasn't very fun up hill but it did just fine. I think a newer 4runner would be good

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at 4runners which state 5000lb tow capicity. I need 4doors and decent fuel economy. I was driving my father in laws chevy 1500 just to and from work and gas was killing me and i only live 6mi away. Below $5000 would be nice. A diesel truck around here would be too much.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Honestly hauling a light car trailer something in the V6 crossover/minivan category would be great for your needs. As far as how good a minivan looks... well who cares they think about it, they should be looking at what's behind it. Sienna/Highlaner/Rav4-V6 (I'm a Toyota guy what can I say).

In all honesty a 4runner will not get much better mileage than a full size truck, 20mpg would be good for a 4runner.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I get about that with my 4.2 f150

I would get a truck of some sort, In my days of driving stuff with trailers I would never use a "car" to haul a car.
And this is exactly my point. The smaller vehicles, SUVs, trucks get the same gas millage and cost the same amount as the big boys. Might as well go HD. And you're right as well. I don't even like pulling my tiny Honda down/up a hill with my dually and a new trailer with great electric brakes. I would not want to tow anything with a half-ton or less equivalent.

trucks are less likely to be well maintained. family-owner minivans tend to have great maintenance records since they are carrying their own kids in the vehicle

my observations from working at my shop
Have you ever towed anything with a minivan though? Plus minivans are poorly designed. Most trucks are designed to take the abuse. I'm at 315k miles in my F350. It was beat to fuck when I got it. Still runs.

I was looking at 4runners which state 5000lb tow capicity. I need 4doors and decent fuel economy. I was driving my father in laws chevy 1500 just to and from work and gas was killing me and i only live 6mi away. Below $5000 would be nice. A diesel truck around here would be too much.
Another 1 or 2 k will get you into that diesel territory.. maybe not even if you look hard enough. You should be willing to travel for the right vehicle.

The 4runner will get the SAME MPGs as a 7.3l Diesel will..

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
the sienna did perfectly fine hauling all that wood on bumpy curvy backroads from the amish

it ate 2 sets of front brakes and 1 set of rear brakes in its 200k+ lifespan and never complained.

it was used only as a family trip vehicle or trailer hauler. it never saw driving on its own. it never got below 25mpg, which was very surprising seeing as my stepdad usually averaged 90mph going up north to temperance river or boulder junction

yes trucks have MORE purpose. but a good import minivan is the way to go.

I would stay the fuck away from anything with a chrysler badge in the minivan department. even a smaller windstar would be a better choice with a 3.8 liter

EDIT and stay away from honda odyssey vans unless its got paper evidence of regular transmission fluid changes. the ONLY thing that lengthens the life of the 90s/00s v6 autotragics

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
I must be the only one thinking older hardbody's or chevy trucks. my dads old Silverado was pretty damn nice. he had to come get me a few times with the tow strap and the truck never complained. only got rid of it because we bought a 94 hardbody.

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
358 Posts
A CRV 2.2 diesel should eat it, unless your trailer is a monster, but might be a bit pricier than you have in mind.

In the UK, I'd probably go for a Hilux or an L200, but I'm guessing that powerful crew-cab trucks are ten a penny in the US of A.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
wish we got the hilux :(

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
A CRV 2.2 diesel should eat it, unless your trailer is a monster, but might be a bit pricier than you have in mind.

In the UK, I'd probably go for a Hilux or an L200, but I'm guessing that powerful crew-cab trucks are ten a penny in the US of A.
no honda diesels this side of the pond.

WOuld be freakin hilarious to have a 2.2 diesel swapped crx rolling coal ahahhahhahahahahahahahaahaaha

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts