Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone ya imnew here but believe me i been reading alot on turbo setups and all that stuff... so much that i get home from work at 11:30p and dont go to sleep till 2am reading and learning and trying to make sense of it all..

pretty much been spending time here
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77291

So anywho i think i want to go with a t25 set up and piece all the parts together. Then install and tune

But i seriously seriously want to know down to the last bolt what i need. Please understand i been reading and know the basic things but thats pretty much it..

I want to do this install myself but i want to do it right the first time so i wont have to double or even triple spend..

Please i know there are many people that are always willing to help a newb out..

Thanks in advance for everything i will check here regularly for all info given.

:hyper:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well... I think u'll need a turbo... :board-trip: 450cc injectors from a 1 gen mitsubishi eclipse/eagle talon, BOV, Intercooler, some intake pipes, turbo manifold, downpipe, oil lines, some sorta engine management... eh... I'm too tired for this.:sleeping:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
are you buying a kit or are you wanting to peice one together. i did alot i mean alot of searching and research, like almost a year now, on building my own kit. i still am no expert and my kit is almost complete. may sound stupid but i looked at several ebay kits and wrote a list of what parts are included and cross referanced many forum posts and build threads to make a complete list. its time consuming but every time i scratch one more item off the list i get so excited. but basics are ( assuming your building your own kit) t25 off a dsm, 450cc injectors off a dsm, hf manifold and adapter plate to fit the turbo, down pipe(most likely the cheapest option is to have a muffler shop make one), side mount ic off a dsm but a front mount is always better (i was gonna make my own ic piping but i decided just to spend 150 buck and ebay fmic and pipe kit). wastegate (dsm turbo will be internally gated), dsm blow off valve, tt oil fitting for the block or sandwich adapter, oil feed line, oil drain line and fittings w/ a tapped oil pan, lots off couplers and clamps, vacume line hose, boost gauge(must have), other gauges are highly recomended, boost controler, arp headstuds w/ frech oem(from honda not autozone) or cometic headgasket, misc bolts needed for mounting, at least 2.25 in exhaust w/ no cat or high flow cat i'd say 2.5in is good, 1 step colder plugs, do a full tune-up( timing belt, oil change, rad flush, new plug wires, cap and rotor, check everything is good, and at least a stage 1 clutch, your stocker wont last a week....lol and finnallly the most important engine management and no a fmu is not a engine management, go with a basemapped ecu and have someone tune it, and since your running obd2 your gonna probly want to convert to obd1 which requires a obd1 ecu and jumper harness, and some other parts, you can tune obd2 but for 3 time the cost of tuning an obd1 and the obd1 tune will be 100 times better

im sure theres some stuff i missed but that about does it

·
www.rifftrax.com
1,517 Posts
the best advice i can give is to get a kit like one from go-autoworks. if you put together your own kit, pick out everything you want and then leave plenty of room in your budget for random things you will forget to get. also, i ALWAYS keep a spare block/head around.

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
so many options.
ill try my best.

youll need:

turbo
turbo manifold
a wastegate if the turbo doesnt have one
oil supply kit
oil drain kit
oil restrictor
piping for cold side ( charge piping )
couplings for charge piping
clamps for couplings
piping for downpipe
piping for new exhaust
blow off valve
flange for blow off valve
intercooler
youll need a more aggressive clutch
injectors
resistor box is a possibility
engine management
good tune ( most important )
boost gauge
i recommend an oil gauge

piecing a turbo kit together may seem a bit overwhelming, but i actually think its fun.
there are so many combinations to make your setup unique.
there are allot of kits out there, but take note that not all kits are complete.
in fact i have never seen one kit that has everything on the list above.
kits will vary based on:

the turbo you use
the way you mount your turbo
intercooler location etc

so dont go out and buy a kit and think that it should have perfect fitment, it rarely will.

this is why ill always prefer to piece my own kit together.
pick your turbo
match the turbo with a manifold and mock it up
piping should go from there.

im a licensed plumber and have plumbed hundreds of brand new homes.
ive even plumbed identical spec homes. but the plumbing is never identical.
there is no plumbing kit for homes, just fittings, pipe and fitment.
the same goes for making your own turbo setup, but thats all the fun.

what kind of t25 are you talking about?
is it a dsm?
what are your hp goals?
and what is your budget?
consider all these questions, and be very realistic about your goals.

you can go t25 log manifold
or t25 honda civic hf manifold with adapter plate and save some cash.

you can have almost 200 hp and still save allot of cash.

theres TONS of info out there. but ill try to give you some more guidance

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=3921.0

once last thing. if you go to HMT.com do not ask them without doing your research 1st, you will get flamed to hell.
read up and do your homework now.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
About the only thing I havn't seen mentioned so far is some kind of a catch can setup...

But the real problem is that you are in California! I don't believe you can run a Home Made Turbo setup. You may have to look into Greddy or Edelbrock kits. You may also have to stay OBD2 and use something like Greddy eManage Ultimate to tune. Someone who is actually from Cal. will know better.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i plan to piece mine together.. i was looking into t25 dsm. I dont want really much power i will be using my car as a daily driver. But being as i live in high elevation i would need to get it tuned somewhere around here or does that really matter?

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
so many options.
ill try my best.

youll need:

turbo
turbo manifold
a wastegate if the turbo doesnt have one
oil supply kit
oil drain kit
oil restrictor
piping for cold side ( charge piping )
couplings for charge piping
clamps for couplings
piping for downpipe
piping for new exhaust
blow off valve
flange for blow off valve
intercooler
youll need a more aggressive clutch
injectors
resistor box is a possibility
engine management
good tune ( most important )
boost gauge
i recommend an oil gauge

piecing a turbo kit together may seem a bit overwhelming, but i actually think its fun.
there are so many combinations to make your setup unique.
there are allot of kits out there, but take note that not all kits are complete.
in fact i have never seen one kit that has everything on the list above.
kits will vary based on:

the turbo you use
the way you mount your turbo
intercooler location etc

so dont go out and buy a kit and think that it should have perfect fitment, it rarely will.

this is why ill always prefer to piece my own kit together.
pick your turbo
match the turbo with a manifold and mock it up
piping should go from there.

im a licensed plumber and have plumbed hundreds of brand new homes.
ive even plumbed identical spec homes. but the plumbing is never identical.
there is no plumbing kit for homes, just fittings, pipe and fitment.
the same goes for making your own turbo setup, but thats all the fun.

what kind of t25 are you talking about?
is it a dsm?
what are your hp goals?
and what is your budget?
consider all these questions, and be very realistic about your goals.

you can go t25 log manifold
or t25 honda civic hf manifold with adapter plate and save some cash.

you can have almost 200 hp and still save allot of cash.

theres TONS of info out there. but ill try to give you some more guidance

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=3921.0

once last thing. if you go to HMT.com do not ask them without doing your research 1st, you will get flamed to hell.
read up and do your homework now.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
11,260 Posts
But the real problem is that you are in California! I don't believe you can run a Home Made Turbo setup. You may have to look into Greddy or Edelbrock kits. You may also have to stay OBD2 and use something like Greddy eManage Ultimate to tune. Someone who is actually from Cal. will know better.
You just need to know people. That's all;)

After that, you can do what you desire:innocent:

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
You just need to know people. That's all;)

After that, you can do what you desire:innocent:

And it's great if that's all it takes. We just started emissions tesing on OBD2 cars here. It's still just plugging into the diagnostic port and checking for codes, so passing smog is pretty easy. I feel for everyone in Cal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts